• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed a lease with prospect landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

admilli17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Hi, I have signed a lease for 12 months with one month security deposit a week back. But for some family reasons we want to backout from the contract. The owner of the property isn't the owner yet as he bought the property and going through the loan approval process. We agreed to move in after he closes on property which will be 3 weeks from now. Now when we told him that we want to back out, he is claiming to keep half of the security deposit and daily rent until he finds a new tenant after the start date of lease. I'm trying to find if the contract is valid in the first place as he didn't close the loan and didn't get the possession of the property yet. I live in Chicago suburbs any advice on this matter is appreciated. Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Hi, I have signed a lease for 12 months with one month security deposit a week back. But for some family reasons we want to backout from the contract. The owner of the property isn't the owner yet as he bought the property and going through the loan approval process. We agreed to move in after he closes on property which will be 3 weeks from now. Now when we told him that we want to back out, he is claiming to keep half of the security deposit and daily rent until he finds a new tenant after the start date of lease. I'm trying to find if the contract is valid in the first place as he didn't close the loan and didn't get the possession of the property yet. I live in Chicago suburbs any advice on this matter is appreciated. Thanks!
You really are going to need a consult with a local real estate attorney. Your situation is just unusual enough that you really need advice from someone who is very familiar with Illinois landlord/tenant laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">