• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed new lease, now landlord wants to change it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kathye

Missouri:mad: I signed a new lease July, 2003 til 8/1/04. They are making improvements: painting & new carpet/tile. On 8/1/03, they said since they are making these improvements, they wanted me to sign ANOTHER lease for a $25.00 increase. When I signed the new lease (7/03), my rent had already increased $25.00. Is it LEGAL for them to ask me to pay more & sign a new lease? PLEASE HELP ME...........If I haven't supplied enough information, let me know ASAP!!!

HomeGuru

Kathye said:
Missouri:mad: I signed a new lease July, 2003 til 8/1/04. They are making improvements: painting & new carpet/tile. On 8/1/03, they said since they are making these improvements, they wanted me to sign ANOTHER lease for a $25.00 increase. When I signed the new lease (7/03), my rent had already increased $25.00. Is it LEGAL for them to ask me to pay more & sign a new lease? PLEASE HELP ME...........If I haven't supplied enough information, let me know ASAP!!!
**A: yes, provided the term commences on or after 8/1/04. And of course, you can say no thanks, I have a lease until 8/1/04. Just be sure that the lease you have is signed by the landlord and be prepared to get an increase upon expiration or a letter to move out.

K

Kathye

Re: Re: Signed new lease, now landlord wants to change it

HomeGuru said:
**A: yes, provided the term commences on or after 8/1/04. And of course, you can say no thanks, I have a lease until 8/1/04. Just be sure that the lease you have is signed by the landlord and be prepared to get an increase upon expiration or a letter to move out.
Let me explain more info....On July 15, 2003 I signed a new lease from 8/1/03-7/31/04. My rent was increased $25.00. One week later, the landlord came back & said along with painting, they would carpet/tile and would have me sign a NEW lease from 8/1/03-7/31/04. My increase would be a total of $50.00 a month.
On 8/2/03 I paid my rent including the $50.00, BUT they have NEVER had me sign a new lease with the additional $50.00. I'm thinking I was a fool for paying the additional $25.00!!! Can they HOLD me to paying the additional $25.00? Bottom line, which lease is legal? I agree I did commit verbally to the additional $25.00 which is why I paid it, but, LEGALLY to which lease am I bound????????????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">