• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister wants to kick me out of mom's house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suky_n_fl

What is the name of your state?I live in Florida. In June my husband, daughter and I moved into a house owned by my mother who is in a nursing home. My sister is my mother's legal guardian and has lived in the house for several years. She wants to kick my family out because we haven't been able to pay rent or utilities (I'm out of work and finances are tight). Nothing's in writing like a lease or anything. Is she allowed to do this?

HomeGuru

suky_n_fl said:
What is the name of your state?I live in Florida. In June my husband, daughter and I moved into a house owned by my mother who is in a nursing home. My sister is my mother's legal guardian and has lived in the house for several years. She wants to kick my family out because we haven't been able to pay rent or utilities (I'm out of work and finances are tight). Nothing's in writing like a lease or anything. Is she allowed to do this?

**A: i would say that's a very good reason for wanting to kick you out.

HomeGuru

suky_n_fl said:
but can she kick me out? mom owns the house.

**A: I don't know. Only the property owner and/ or authorized agent/attorney can kick you out. Is she anyone of these?

JETX

suky_n_fl said:
Is she allowed to do this?
As legal guardian for your mothers affairs (including the house), she has the right to terminate your 'at will' tenancy..... if you have one (your post isn't clear as to whether you are in fact a tenant.... or a guest).
Simple answer.... pay or move.

suky_n_fl

there isn't a lease or anything, but she invited us to stay with her to help us get back on our feet. she said she wanted $40 a month for utilities which we did until about six weeks ago. our mom isn't able to speak for herself but i don't think she'd want us kicked out.

HomeGuru

suky_n_fl said:
there isn't a lease or anything, but she invited us to stay with her to help us get back on our feet. she said she wanted $40 a month for utilities which we did until about six weeks ago. our mom isn't able to speak for herself but i don't think she'd want us kicked out.

**A: you are legally a m/m tenant then. If she has authority, then start packing. If not, then stay.

BL

What you think your mother may or may not want , is irrelevant .

If the sister has been appointed guardianship , or POA , she has a right to terminate your tenancy .

How do you find out ?

Request the legal document , and/or wait until you are evicted under the LL/tenant Law .

If I were you , I'd start looking for another place to stay , and some JOBS .

HomeGuru

Blonde Lebinese said:
What you think your mother may or may not want , is irrelevant .

If the sister has been appointed guardianship , or POA , she has a right to terminate your tenancy .

How do you find out ?

Request the legal document , and/or wait until you are evicted under the LL/tenant Law .

If I were you , I'd start looking for another place to stay , and some JOBS .

**A: good response. Just for clarification, a person can not be appointed POA. A person can be appointed attorney-in-fact via a POA.

south

All they wanted was $40 a month towards utilities and you could not even do that?

I also doubt your Mum wants you to run the utility bills up either.

Someone has been put in charge of your Mums affairs, in theory you are not even a paying renter you are a temp guest that is running up the bills on the home.

suky_n_fl said:

HomeGuru

south said:
All they wanted was $40 a month towards utilities and you could not even do that?

I also doubt your Mum wants you to run the utility bills up either.

Someone has been put in charge of your Mums affairs, in theory you are not even a paying renter you are a temp guest that is running up the bills on the home.

**A: I guess you see something wrong with this picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">