• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

skip out roommate refueses to return keys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

No_more_mates

What is the name of your state? Arizona
I took on a roommate at my apartment this mid Aug and made her sign a lease agreement with me until the end of Feb. 2007. My lease with the apartment doesn't have any previsions for sub-letting. She decided she wanted to move to be closer to school on Sept. 20th and told me her intentions of wanting to move. I asked her to find out how long they would hold the apartment with the deposit she had already paid before asking me to let her out of the lease and instead she signed a lease and moved while I was at work two days later on the 22nd. We had talked about some options for the apartment because I told her I couldn't afford to stay without a roommate. I presented her with a lease buyout agreement which was 50% of what she would have paid if the lease agreement went to completion. I immediately began looking for a roommate again on the internet and awaited her response to the buyout. She doesn't want to pay the amount and has refused to give back the keys and gate remote to the property until the buyout amount is agreed upon from both of us.
The roommate search was not going well. I had ads up on 6 different sites and it only generated 3 responses and none were viable so I made the decision to go month to month then move instead of signing my new lease. I want the keys and remote returned so I can turn them in upon my move out since there is a financial impact to not returning the property at move out for me. SO what I want to know is can I/should I file a report with the Police against her for not returning the property upon her move out? I've already decided to sue her in small claims for breaking the lease agreement if we don't come to an agreement on the buyout amount. Thanks for the help.

Who's Liable?

You can sue her for the full amount of her lease REGARDLESS of any monetary agreements you both failed to come up with. Additionally, you can stick the cost of the gate transmitter in the amount you are going to sue her for.

When you go to court, bring the print out from the websites showing you tried to mitigate your damages by actively looking for a roommate.

No_more_mates

skip out roommate

You can sue her for the full amount of her lease REGARDLESS of any monetary agreements you both failed to come up with. Additionally, you can stick the cost of the gate transmitter in the amount you are going to sue her for.

When you go to court, bring the print out from the websites showing you tried to mitigate your damages by actively looking for a roommate.
Thanks for the input. I really want to try to resolve it without going to court but more then anything I want the remote and keys returned and I'm looking for any legal leverage to make her do so then I won't be out of more money when I move to pay for the remote and the pool key.

RJ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">