• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slum-lord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magnew2004

Ohio
My landlord refuses to do anything to the house. The upstairs front porch covers the first three numbers of the address. It will fall in the winter. The back porch stairs feel like they will break soon. He has made numerous promises to repair the house but he hasn't. We are scared to move our things out because the porches are so weak. Can we sue him for all the rent we've paid him. Its only about $3000.

seniorjudge

My landlord refuses to do anything to the house. The upstairs front porch covers the first three numbers of the address. It will fall in the winter. The back porch stairs feel like they will break soon. He has made numerous promises to repair the house but he hasn't. We are scared to move our things out because the porches are so weak. Can we sue him for all the rent we've paid him. Its only about $3000.

Move; you have no case.

Leinalani

magnew2004 said:
Ohio
I don't understand why you'd want to keep living there if you think the accomodations will "break soon"?

I agree with the Judge, move. It's not worth the hassle.

south

No you cannot get rent money back.

If the place is a hazzard call an inspector.

magnew2004 said:
Can we sue him for all the rent we've paid him. Its only about $3000.

LindaP777

magnew2004 said:
Ohio Can we sue him for all the rent we've paid him. Its only about $3000.
Why on earth would you think you're entitled to get all your previously paid rent back? You lived there those months, didn't you?

Call the building inspector or move out (or both) if you don't like the way the landlord is maintaining the house, but don't ask for your rent back - it makes you look like one of those people who want to "get something for nothing".

seniorjudge

LindaP777 said:
... it makes you look like one of those people who want to "get something for nothing"....

We call those people spill chickers!

They're like baby chicks going after a spill of food.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">