• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slumlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pretty

i live in fort wayne indiana, my son and his girlfriend live in a apartment have a lease but with a woman that sold the houses to this man, my question is, is the lease still good or not? the new owner has not made any new leases. 2nd ? does this ladlord have a right to just unlock the door and go on in no matter if the tenants are in bed? the bathtub is ready to fall through the floor and he put blocks of wood under the tub legs as if that is going to stop the tub from going through the floor and into another tenants apartment, the floor is rotted out and the landlord gave my son tile to lay down and he expects not to pay my son for his labor and not to mention how is laying tile going to help without replacing the floor. My son was gone one day came home and found the landlord in his apartment he had no explanation just looked at my son and let, another time he left the door open to where anyone could have stole them blind and then was stupid enough to leave a note on the tv to give him a call. can this guy do whatever he wants? they have a baby and found out that the apartment has lead base paint but the landlord wont do anything about it, thanks for any input.

FarmerJ

The kids have a copy of the written lease ? yes it transfered to the new owner . Look to your state govt web page links to learn what kind of notice is to be given for non emergency entry to the unit . Then they need to send him written letter telling him to stop entering with zero notice . and call the police the next time he does . Repairs they need to take photos now of all the things that need to be repaired and if they are going to reqquest repairs to do so in writting sent certified mail . Lead based paint . Well does your county have a testing program to evaluate the level of hazzard to the unit ? The kids should stop doing any work on the unit for him , why so they dont get blamed for causing any repair problems to become worse .

Pretty

thank you for you insight, i will check the websight for the gov links, yes they do have their lease, i just leared that he the landlord moved in his family to the other apartments and one of them told my son that they were planning to get them out so the other part of their family could have the apartment, the landlord knows they have the lease and says that lease is no good anymore because of him buying out the old landlord, again thanks

south

Sorry may have missed something where does the word 'slumlord' come into this?

Call an inspector if you really believe the floor is going to fall through/suspect lead paint and the landlord will not do anything about it.

How do you know its lead based paint?

He gave your son tile to put down if he is a tiler he would know to fix the floor first...

Landlord needs to give notice when entering unit for non-emergency situations, there again a bath tub going through a floor sounds like an emergency.

Pretty said:
i live in fort wayne indiana, my son and his girlfriend live in a apartment have a lease but with a woman that sold the houses to this man, my question is, is the lease still good or not? the new owner has not made any new leases. 2nd ? does this ladlord have a right to just unlock the door and go on in no matter if the tenants are in bed? the bathtub is ready to fall through the floor and he put blocks of wood under the tub legs as if that is going to stop the tub from going through the floor and into another tenants apartment, the floor is rotted out and the landlord gave my son tile to lay down and he expects not to pay my son for his labor and not to mention how is laying tile going to help without replacing the floor. My son was gone one day came home and found the landlord in his apartment he had no explanation just looked at my son and let, another time he left the door open to where anyone could have stole them blind and then was stupid enough to leave a note on the tv to give him a call. can this guy do whatever he wants? they have a baby and found out that the apartment has lead base paint but the landlord wont do anything about it, thanks for any input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">