• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slumlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liacarose

Florida- Moved into single family home 12/04. Since moving in Landlord and I have not gotten along. He refuses to mow the lawn or make any requested repairs. Hurricaine season comes and I ask about shutters. He says that protecting the house is my problem and that any damage will be my responsibility. Then he asks if I have insurance. I say that I don't have renters insurance. He states that it is in the lease and that I have to forward a copy to him. The lease states that I maintain it but doesn't state that I must show proof of it. He sends several requests for proof. I ignore them. 3 weeks ago my house was broken into. Not your typical break in. All my personal belongings are thrown all over the house and some electronic things stolen. I ask the landlord to repair the broken window. He states that it is my responsibility. The lease states that it's his responsibility. I ask to be released from the lease because I don't feel safe anymore. He says that I need to pay the balance of the lease to get out of it. I tell him no. Side note... Landlord is prime suspect in break in. Detectives are pretty sure it was him. Now landlord is trying to evict me on grounds that I defaulted the lease by not showing proof of insurance. I have since obtained a policy but have yet to show proof as it doesn't state it in the lease. Bottom line is this guy wants me out so he can charge several hundered more per month in rent and wants the balance of the lease to boot. What should I do?

south

Slumlord??? What the F are you on about?

You would not know a slumlord if one came along and stamped on your foot..

YOU are responsible for any damage to the property that is caused by you or someone breaking in, you are paying rent to the landlord not insurance for your stuff...

Follow the lease YOU signed and YOU agreed to.

liacarose said:
Florida- Moved into single family home 12/04. Since moving in Landlord and I have not gotten along. He refuses to mow the lawn or make any requested repairs. Hurricaine season comes and I ask about shutters. He says that protecting the house is my problem and that any damage will be my responsibility. Then he asks if I have insurance. I say that I don't have renters insurance. He states that it is in the lease and that I have to forward a copy to him. The lease states that I maintain it but doesn't state that I must show proof of it. He sends several requests for proof. I ignore them. 3 weeks ago my house was broken into. Not your typical break in. All my personal belongings are thrown all over the house and some electronic things stolen. I ask the landlord to repair the broken window. He states that it is my responsibility. The lease states that it's his responsibility. I ask to be released from the lease because I don't feel safe anymore. He says that I need to pay the balance of the lease to get out of it. I tell him no. Side note... Landlord is prime suspect in break in. Detectives are pretty sure it was him. Now landlord is trying to evict me on grounds that I defaulted the lease by not showing proof of insurance. I have since obtained a policy but have yet to show proof as it doesn't state it in the lease. Bottom line is this guy wants me out so he can charge several hundered more per month in rent and wants the balance of the lease to boot. What should I do?

HomeGuru

liacarose said:
I need help from someone real.

**A: so are you telling us that south is not real?

Not some loser that sits on this board all day flaming every post.
**A: with that lickarose, you get nothing from me. And move out soon so L can charge more rent to the next tenant.

liacarose

What a waste of time this site is. This isn't an advice site. It's a excuse for a couple of hacks to flame all day while they're waiting for thier SS checks and food stamps.

HomeGuru

liacarose said:
What a waste of time this site is. This isn't an advice site. It's a excuse for a couple of hacks to flame all day while they're waiting for thier SS checks and food stamps.

**A: do you want some sheese with that whine? Oh, gots to go. I hear the mailman and my SS check is here.

south

Put the beer down and roll that sweaty gutt out to the garden and mow the lawn you lazy git.

And I all ready got my SS check yesterday but I traded my food stamps in for a betting slip.

liacarose said:

Ellerge

Winder

:) I will tell you what you want me to. That slumlord? should fix your winder! Wait until December and then take him to Court. It should only be about 2 or 3 months until you get a Court date. Tell the Judge that the slumlord caused you to freeze! (Be sure to pay your rent!). Do not mow the lawn - tell the Judge that that slumlord should mow the lawn - it should only cost you $200 or $300 to Codes enforcement. MOVE! The Judgment (for breaking the Lease) against you will ONLY follow you for ten or fifteen years. The difficulty in obtaining housing, buying a house, a car, or getting a credit card is well worth it. SHOW THAT LANDLORD!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">