• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slumlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scunions

What is the name of your state? California :confused:

I rent a 1 bedroom appt for over 4 years now. I have a new Landlord that i may refer to as a slumlord. I don't pay any utilities, they are included in my rent. For the third time now I come home from work and have no utilities, unfortunatelly it is too late to call authorities at this time, so I let him know, of course he acts dumm saying he has no idea why the utilities are shut off. Every single time i do call the city and of course the service was discontinued becasue of unpaid bills. I also have several other issues that i address to him in writing when i send my rent and nothing has been resolved, I have a major problem with roaches - he seems not to care. What i need help with is WHO can I address the issue to so someone can let him know that he cannot legally do that, leaving me and my 2 kids without utilities? Everwhere I call, and i mean Fairhousing, the health department , the code violation department, they are telling me what to do as far as getting my utilites, put them in your name, why should I? I pay for them already in my rent. The city won't send an inspector unless he is being caught in the act. When I get off of work, it is too late for me to call the code inforcement. Every other month I am getting nervous, thinking I come home with the same situation all over again. I want to send a written complaint to someone who will pay attention to what i have to say. I am the victom here with obviosely no rights.

scunions

scunions said:
What is the name of your state? California

I rent a 1 bedroom appt for over 4 years now. I have a new Landlord that i may refer to as a slumlord. I don't pay any utilities, they are included in my rent. For the third time now I come home from work and have no utilities, unfortunatelly it is too late to call authorities at this time, so I let him know, of course he acts dumm saying he has no idea why the utilities are shut off. Every single time i do call the city and of course the service was discontinued becasue of unpaid bills. I also have several other issues that i address to him in writing when i send my rent and nothing has been resolved, I have a major problem with roaches - he seems not to care. What i need help with is WHO can I address the issue to so someone can let him know that he cannot legally do that, leaving me and my 2 kids without utilities? Everwhere I call, and i mean Fairhousing, the health department , the code violation department, they are telling me what to do as far as getting my utilites, put them in your name, why should I? I pay for them already in my rent. The city won't send an inspector unless he is being caught in the act. When I get off of work, it is too late for me to call the code inforcement. Every other month I am getting nervous, thinking I come home with the same situation all over again. I want to send a written complaint to someone who will pay attention to what i have to say. I am the victom here with obviosely no rights.

ENASNI

Is it in your written lease that utilities are included?

Lets say it is.

I suggest doing what the other "authorities" have said. Put the utilities in your name.
Then when you get the bills each month make a copy of them, deduct the amount from your rent and then pay your landlord the reduced amount.
Rent is paid and utilities are included. A little more work for you but it takes the dread out of coming home to no electricity.

Of course you might try drawing up an agreement that both of you sign regarding this, so that it is understood.

This was just the first thing that came to my mind, Its not a legal answer.
Perhaps others will come along and give you one or two.

Last edited:

xylene

scunions said:
What is the name of your state? California :confused:

You have rights.

Your landlord is shuting off your utilites. This is to force you out- an illegal eviction.

You are protected under CA law. Do as you have been suggested and then sue for the allowed damages as well.

scunions

Here is the problem, there are only 2 units in the whole complex that i live in, the downstairs appt. is a 2 bedroom, he is getting ready to ren the unit to at least 6 people. The utilities are not split, which means I would be paying for the whole place. My rental aggrement says utilieites are the responsabilities of the landlord. I really do appreciate oyur guys suggestions

xylene

scunions said:
The utilities are not split.
That complicates it a bit.

You are no longer bound by your lease- the landlords failure to provide utilites is material breech of your lease, and of the law.

If he is trying to get you to move by an illegal eviction then why would you want to stay. Lots of people would love to get out fromunder a crappy landlord. Landlords illegal action has given you the perfect out.

1) Move.

2) Sue your landlord for the damages allowed by CA law.

scunions

Belive me, I am already looking, it is just not that easy to find a place affordable if you are a single mom living on a fixed income. I am on a month to month rental agreement, so I can just give him a 30 day notice and vice versa. I guess I am just very disappointed that nobody is really paying attention to this issues and slumlords can get away with murder here. I used toi have a roomate and I had a hell of a time to get her out of the house, she had all the right according to the law and did not pay a penny of rent, so it just frustrating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">