• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Snake in the Apartment!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snakehater

I reside in Orange County, CA and live in an apartment. In March, I woke up to start studying for an exam and went to the restroom. I go to wash my hands and i feel something on my foot. I jump back and bend down to see what it was. I saw a rather large black snake crawling up into the bathroom cabinet. I go outside of the bathroom and shut the door. My parents called 911 because the snake bit me on my foot. When the paramedics arrived, they said it was probably left from the previous owner, since I live on the third floor! The doctor who took care of me in the ER said the same thing, as did the animal control woman who had to tear down the bathroom wall to get to the snake.

Now that you know the background information, my question is, can I hold the apartment owner/landlord accountable for the hospital charges? My medical insurance will not pay for the paramedic bill or the actual hospital bills. Is there any way I can get the landlord to pay for it, legally?

I would appreciate any help! I am a poooor student and cannot afford to pay for these bills!

Thank you!

-snakehaterWhat is the name of your state?

Just Blue

I reside in Orange County, CA and live in an apartment. In March, I woke up to start studying for an exam and went to the restroom. I go to wash my hands and i feel something on my foot. I jump back and bend down to see what it was. I saw a rather large black snake crawling up into the bathroom cabinet. I go outside of the bathroom and shut the door. My parents called 911 because the snake bit me on my foot. When the paramedics arrived, they said it was probably left from the previous owner, since I live on the third floor! The doctor who took care of me in the ER said the same thing, as did the animal control woman who had to tear down the bathroom wall to get to the snake.

Now that you know the background information, my question is, can I hold the apartment owner/landlord accountable for the hospital charges? My medical insurance will not pay for the paramedic bill or the actual hospital bills. Is there any way I can get the landlord to pay for it, legally?

I would appreciate any help! I am a poooor student and cannot afford to pay for these bills!

Thank you!

-snakehaterWhat is the name of your state?

What kind of snake was it? Did the previous tenant own a snake??

xylene

You didn't answer Zing's first question. Why didn't / won't they pay?

I myself would have just washed the wound with peroxide and gotten a pair of gloves and golf club. ;)

I don't see why the landlord would be liable.

It is a CALIFORNIA King Snake. Orange county is in California...

Hot Topic

The previous tenants probably abandoned it, and the snake hid itself in places the landlord probably didn't check when they moved out.

Anyone see the horrible story about the lady who let her little dog out of the doggie door, only to have it intercepted by the neighbor's pet snake? Instead of whapping the snake with whatever she could get her hands on, she took pictures.

Ozark_Sophist

I myself would have just washed the wound with peroxide and gotten a pair of gloves and golf club. ;)
Peroxide is not advised for puncture wounds. The chemical reaction from the hydrogen peroxide can create prions which may lead to all kinds of nasty things. Treating a surface wound with peroxide is acceptable.

ENASNI

aasacck

`Sorry I have no answer, I am thinking of the damage I could have done when I went screaming thru the balcony or glass door! OMG!

In your home? You have something here, I don't mean take the building, but sheesh there are are peeps like me with true phobias! Even if you do not have one. ICK!

I went to one of those biggo petstores and they ( the workers) all had creatures on them. birds , gerbils, kitty-cats but one had a spider ( not a fan, but my sister goes bullistic) and the one next to me had a green garden type snake. I dropped my doggie treats and went screaming out the door. They gave me doggie snacks ( outside the door) to shut me up.

Phobias are real.

Snakes in the house.. OH MY GOD! I am looking now in my cabinets and I live upstairs. Spiders-bugs- mice No problemo. BUt OMG as snake!!!!?????

gotta put my head between my knees.. fainting country!!!

las365

They gave me doggie snacks ( outside the door) to shut me up.
So the snacks were pretty good, eh?

KIDDING.

I don't know how the LL would be responsible in this case unless they knew that a snake was loose in the building and didn't try to find it... How long had you lived there?

I doubt you could hold the LL responsible for this. It may not have even been from a former tenant if the snake is indigenous to the area. Snakes can climb up pipes, stairs, through air vents, etc. (Not to freak you out or anything.)

Once when working for a state agency we had a training session in one of the old "mansions" at the agency. As we went up to the second floor, there on the marble floor, was a copperhead snake. Somehow it had come in the front door and up the marble staircase. We took a long handled broom and swept it back outside. (I had a black snake as a kid so no panic here.) I'm not fond of spiders, but I don't run screaming into the night when I see one.

Even if it had been from a former tenant, how would the LL know it was in the building unless the tenant told him it had gotten out?

CA LL

Why won't your insurance pay for the hospital/paramedic? Did they reject it because it was not a true emergency? Or why?

There is NO WAY the LL could be held liable for your bills for a snake unless the LL knowingly rented the unit KNOWING a snake was living in there waiting for the new tenants! Obviously NOT the case.

Third story or not...it could be ANYONE's pet snake from the building OR even from outside. You'd be amazed at how creatively snakes can navigate in and around buildings, trees, etc.

By the way..king snakes EAT OTHER SNAKES! Even poisonous ones. And mice/rodents.

Again..please answer WHY your health insurance would not pay the hospital bill.

Why won't your insurance pay for the hospital/paramedic? Did they reject it because it was not a true emergency? Or why?

Again..please answer WHY your health insurance would not pay the hospital bill.
there is a possibility that he didn't use a network provider. if its a non-emergency issue and there was a choice as to which hospital to go to, he has to request and use the facility that is in his insurance's network or not be covered. apparently this was not life-threatening.

justalayman

Unless the OP knew what kind of snake it was and that it was non-venomous, they took proper action by seeking immediate treatment.

If you do not know if it is venomous, best be safe than sorry. Waiting could be the death of you.

If OP knew the snake to be non-venomous, then I agree with others, it was not an emergency and did not require EMT or actually even ER care.

Let us know if you knew, snakehater, and to the insurance situation as well.

Re; the landlord

very little chance of a claim against him unless, as others stated, he was aware of a snake abandoned in the apartment building.

ENASNI; cable TV guy just found a snake under my house. Description; 2feet long and brown. I have no idea what kind it is. Could you come take a look for me??:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">