• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SNAKE ... who's responsible???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TeyaC84`

My roommate and I are renting a townhouse from my parents in Durham, NC. Recently we discovered that there is a snake living under our front step (it appears every morning). We are told that it is likely not poisonous, but we are both afraid and want it removed. My mother suggested that my roommate and I split the cost of having the snake removed (companies want to charge alot for its removal). Are we as tenants responsible? Or are my parents, as landlords, responsible?

BTW, if anyone in Durham knows of someone that would remove the snake for a minimal cost, please let me know.

Thanks,
[email protected]

Alaska landlord

Call a snake charmer, maybe he'll get lucky.

But, you really don't want to take on your parents. Your city should have some kind of animal removal department check around.

Cvillecpm

If it bothers you, have it removed at your expense.

This is NOT a landlord expense as it is OUTSIDE of the rented dwelling.

seniorjudge

My roommate and I are renting a townhouse from my parents in Durham, NC. Recently we discovered that there is a snake living under our front step (it appears every morning). We are told that it is likely not poisonous, but we are both afraid and want it removed. My mother suggested that my roommate and I split the cost of having the snake removed (companies want to charge alot for its removal). Are we as tenants responsible? Or are my parents, as landlords, responsible?

BTW, if anyone in Durham knows of someone that would remove the snake for a minimal cost, please let me know.

Thanks,
[email protected]
That snake is eating rats. Remember that.

You city kids have it easy: In the last week these things have run though my yard: raccoon, deer, armadillo, coyote, fox, rabbit, possum, snakes (several kinds).

Did I say in the last week?

I meant in the last hour.

:D

xylene

You could just grow a pair and relax. Maybe even appreciate a little reptile neighbor.

It is a harmless snake.

In fact harmless is the wrong word; its a beneficial snake. :) Snakes kill vermin.

Or you could really put yourself out their and smash it with a rake or something.

Yes. I mean kill it. :rolleyes:

seniorjudge

Or you could really put yourself out their and smash it with a rake or something.

Yes. I mean kill it. :rolleyes:

I suspect that is illegal.

Okay, yeah, now we're all wondering: "A law to protect snakes!"

Yep, they exist.

Sad, ain't it?:cool:

fairisfair

Yeah, right.

If you buy this, then I want to have a serious talk about that nifty swampland just East of New Orleans I have been trying to unload!:D
Hey, now, I said it wasn't an endorsement. LOL;):p

Personally, I was hoping that one of the cheesy landlords would volunteer to go over and catch it for the snake oil. :D:D

LindaP777

No, you are a landlord. The cheesy landlords know who they are, and so do we.
Hey, I plead innocent!

Seriously, OP, (and I'm afraid of snakes, too), he is more afraid of you than you are of him (or at least that's what mom mom always said). He is sunning himself every morning. When you step out, he is frightened away, right? Be realistic (I'm talking to myself, here) what harm will he do to you? None. Don't worry! He is keeping the mice and rats away.

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

If I were closer, I'd come remove the snake.

I picked up this cute little baby snake in front of the doors of a major retailer. It bit me. Poor little thing was so scared. Dumped out a sprite bottle and took the snake home. My neighbor hates snakes. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">