• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son and his girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsand5kids

Hello,

I live in Ohio. I have a 20 year old son that lives with me. I allowed his girlfriend and her son to move in with us in January 2011. In January of 2012 I started charging my son $150 a month to help out with the bills. My son's girlfriend has become a nightmare and my husband, other children and I want her out of the house. My son tells me that I can't evict them because we have a verbal agreement. I also want to mention that I rent this home. My husband and I are on the lease.

I told my son that I would be more then happy to allow him to live in my home until his apartment is available on August 13, 2012. I don't want the girlfriend in my home. She can live with her mother until the apartment becomes available.

Can I kick her out of my house?

Any insight or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hello,

I live in Ohio. I have a 20 year old son that lives with me. I allowed his girlfriend and her son to move in with us in January 2011. In January of 2012 I started charging my son $150 a month to help out with the bills. My son's girlfriend has become a nightmare and my husband, other children and I want her out of the house. My son tells me that I can't evict them because we have a verbal agreement. I also want to mention that I rent this home. My husband and I are on the lease.

I told my son that I would be more then happy to allow him to live in my home until his apartment is available on August 13, 2012. I don't want the girlfriend in my home. She can live with her mother until the apartment becomes available.

Can I kick her out of my house?

Any insight or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You can formally evict her. Be aware that you may find yourself on the wrong end of an eviction IF your landlord did not give you permission to sublease or take in tenants yourself. Go through the proper procedure for an eviction and follow every step. You need to give her proper 3 day notice, then file in court to evict.

Realize that this may put a wedge between you and your son.

rsand5kids

Do I really have to formally evict her? I never made any agreements with her. Why would this be considered subleasing if this is my son?

QUOTE=Ohiogal;3063682]You can formally evict her. Be aware that you may find yourself on the wrong end of an eviction IF your landlord did not give you permission to sublease or take in tenants yourself. Go through the proper procedure for an eviction and follow every step. You need to give her proper 3 day notice, then file in court to evict.

Realize that this may put a wedge between you and your son.[/QUOTE]

sandyclaus

Do I really have to formally evict her? I never made any agreements with her. Why would this be considered subleasing if this is my son?

QUOTE=Ohiogal;3063682]You can formally evict her. Be aware that you may find yourself on the wrong end of an eviction IF your landlord did not give you permission to sublease or take in tenants yourself. Go through the proper procedure for an eviction and follow every step. You need to give her proper 3 day notice, then file in court to evict.

Realize that this may put a wedge between you and your son.
A lot of people think that because there is no written lease or rental agreement, then you can just kick them to the curb. Not so.

This woman has established residency, and is therefore considered a tenant (or rather, since YOU are the tenant, she would be a subtenant). If you try to kick her out without following the proper legal steps, you're liable to find yourself on the wrong end of an illegal eviction lawsuit.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She is not related to you. She is not family. Is your son listed on your lease? If he is, you shouldn't have made the decision you did. You decided to charge YOUR SON rent. Which means he is a subtenant and you are subleasing. She is a resident and therefore a tenant and needs evicted. If not on your lease that you signed with your landlord, then she is subleasing from you. Which may or may not be allowed per the terms of your lease with your landlord.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need to give her proper 3 day notice, then file in court to evict.
Why do you feel that a 3-day notice is appropriate? It would appear to me (based on the OP) that a 30-day notice is required.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why do you feel that a 3-day notice is appropriate? It would appear to me (based on the OP) that a 30-day notice is required.
Here you go:

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/housing/landlord-tenant-issues/eviction/qandact_view

That is after asking her to leave and then the 3 day Notice to Leave must be given THEN the eviction filed. The 3 day Notice to Leave begins the eviction. However, she should have already given proper written notice that she wants the girl out. If the girl does not leave after that notice the 3 day must be served before the eviction.
Sorry I was not more specific.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here you go:

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/housing/landlord-tenant-issues/eviction/qandact_view

That is after asking her to leave and then the 3 day Notice to Leave must be given THEN the eviction filed. The 3 day Notice to Leave begins the eviction. However, she should have already given proper written notice that she wants the girl out. If the girl does not leave after that notice the 3 day must be served before the eviction.
Sorry I was not more specific.
Gotcha - at this point, 30 day written notice would need to be given, not the 3-day notice. (Just clarifying for the OP)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">