• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spraying in senior/disable complex, no history of bugs, 2-day notice to prepare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajsandiego

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Two years ago, I moved into a senior/disable subsidized housing complex with my section 8. It’s a small one bedroom, but cheap rent. Every few months the manager would have an pest inspection and every time there would be no problem. This continued on and with every inspection it took longer and longer, until it became a two hour ordeal. Most of the time they were checking for bedbugs and seems determined to find some in my apartment, which I don’t have. Some of the other tenants had problems. About three months ago they got a new pest control company. They started making bi-weekly inspections and only give you a 24 hour notice when they were coming. Then they started insisting that you started preparing for the inspection, by different things such as removing all food items from all rooms, place in a plastic bag on the table. The last time they came I followed him around while he was conducting his inspection and just as I knew I was right, he did not find anything. I use to work for a Housing Authority, so I know how to look for pests. Then a week later he came back, asked if there were any signs of roaches or bugs. I told him no, because I also got a bright light like yours and started inspection myself. Now for the kicker, today I receive a notice from the pest control service saying that they were going to spray every apartment on one side this Friday as a precautionary treatment. A 48 hour notice, but what they want us to do is unbelievable.

Remove all items, all drawers, all counter tops in kitchen and bathroom and place items on dining room table or in living room and cover.

Remove all items in closets, move furniture 6: from wall, then wash all cabinets and drawers with a disinfectant cleanser, prior to spraying. All pets and people must remain out of apartment for four hours from time posted on door and people with pregnancy, ailing health, or infants should consult a physician prior to service. In the event you are unable to contact a physician we recomment a minimum of twenty-four hours before reentering.

Then upon return, cleanup all dead roaches, egg capsules, and fecal droping by using a vacuum or brush. Do not clean with soap.
A rescheduling fee of $25 will be charged if unit is not ready at time of service.

I am disabled living with AIDS and recently had my arm operated on to work on my nerves and blood vessels and cannot even begin to complete everything in 48 hours. Also, I have lived here for two years and have never had a bug problem, not even one roach, or roach egg, bedbug, nothing. Is there anything I can do to allow me more time to get things ready, because I am sure there are other people worse off that I am, the lady that lives next door is in a wheel chair, so are about for other people on my side. This is a senior/disable apartment community and should allow or provide assistance to comply.

If I can do all this in the amount of time, then I guess I am not disabled, because even a healthy person would take that long to complete. Isn't there a certain amount of time to give notice for such a large project.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Two years ago, I moved into a senior/disable subsidized housing complex with my section 8. It’s a small one bedroom, but cheap rent. Every few months the manager would have an pest inspection and every time there would be no problem. This continued on and with every inspection it took longer and longer, until it became a two hour ordeal. Most of the time they were checking for bedbugs and seems determined to find some in my apartment, which I don’t have. Some of the other tenants had problems. About three months ago they got a new pest control company. They started making bi-weekly inspections and only give you a 24 hour notice when they were coming. Then they started insisting that you started preparing for the inspection, by different things such as removing all food items from all rooms, place in a plastic bag on the table. The last time they came I followed him around while he was conducting his inspection and just as I knew I was right, he did not find anything. I use to work for a Housing Authority, so I know how to look for pests. Then a week later he came back, asked if there were any signs of roaches or bugs. I told him no, because I also got a bright light like yours and started inspection myself. Now for the kicker, today I receive a notice from the pest control service saying that they were going to spray every apartment on one side this Friday as a precautionary treatment. A 48 hour notice, but what they want us to do is unbelievable.

Remove all items, all drawers, all counter tops in kitchen and bathroom and place items on dining room table or in living room and cover.

Remove all items in closets, move furniture 6: from wall, then wash all cabinets and drawers with a disinfectant cleanser, prior to spraying. All pets and people must remain out of apartment for four hours from time posted on door and people with pregnancy, ailing health, or infants should consult a physician prior to service. In the event you are unable to contact a physician we recomment a minimum of twenty-four hours before reentering.

Then upon return, cleanup all dead roaches, egg capsules, and fecal droping by using a vacuum or brush. Do not clean with soap.
A rescheduling fee of $25 will be charged if unit is not ready at time of service.

I am disabled living with AIDS and recently had my arm operated on to work on my nerves and blood vessels and cannot even begin to complete everything in 48 hours. Also, I have lived here for two years and have never had a bug problem, not even one roach, or roach egg, bedbug, nothing. Is there anything I can do to allow me more time to get things ready, because I am sure there are other people worse off that I am, the lady that lives next door is in a wheel chair, so are about for other people on my side. This is a senior/disable apartment community and should allow or provide assistance to comply.

If I can do all this in the amount of time, then I guess I am not disabled, because even a healthy person would take that long to complete. Isn't there a certain amount of time to give notice for such a large project.
The preperation seems a bit extreme to me for pest control.

Having said that ,you do acknowlege through Housing Authority of proccedure .

They are taking a pro-active approach now.

Do you not have a nuses aid / light houskeeping agency person ?

They should be the ones to notify and help.

If not ,I would empty the kitchen cupboards , under sink cabinents,under bathroom sink cabinents .

Place items somewhere out of the way and cover.

If for bedbugs also, remove bedding a place in plastic garbage bags.

I have never heard of moving furniture away from walls ,or removing items from closets,washing down areas prior to extermination methods.

Although 24 hr. notice is short ,it is allowed.

As far as having to vacate for 24 hrs. on Drs. advise, if need ,management should arrange for you to be housed.

8 hrs. should suffice from time they leave. Time and date should be posted on doors to return.

Last edited:

ajsandiego

Spraying the baseboard

They want the furniture away from the walls to spray the baseboard. I scanned a copy of the actual notice, is there a way to post it here in the forum to get a more accrurate view of the requirements.

BL

They want the furniture away from the walls to spray the baseboard. I scanned a copy of the actual notice, is there a way to post it here in the forum to get a more accrurate view of the requirements.
We can read what you posted and what you stated the Pest Control / Management are requiring , or else a reschedual and fee .

I'm saying do what you can , most important preperations.

Rally up some help from neighbor tenants ,etc. Pose you inability to preform preperations to management.

Reach out to volunteer organizations in the community. You seem to have access to the internet.

There are low cost substidized housing all over the US and I'm sure many tenants are unable to comply with like issues themselves.

Tenants are still expected to comply..

Usually if tenants are unable/disabled enough they are refered for nurses aids/lit houskepper ,social worker , etc. by their Drs.

First step,speak to management .

DeenaCA

I recommend that you submit a written request for a "reasonable accommodation" to the management staff. I'd say something like, "Due to my disability I am physically unable to prepare for the insect spraying as directed. Please accommodate me by either allowing additional time so that I can request help from other agencies, or by providing assistance in preparing my apartment."

It sounds like you're receiving a rental subsidy through one of HUD's "Multifamily" programs (please let me know if this is not a HUD program). You can review the rules in Handbook 4350.3 at http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=43503HSGH.pdf. Excerpt:

Owners must make reasonable adjustments to their rules, policies, practices, and
procedures in order to enable an applicant or resident with a disability to have an equal
opportunity to use and enjoy the unit and the common areas of a dwelling, or to
participate in or have access to other activities conducted or sponsored by the owner.
You will probably not be successful in trying to convince the managers that your unit does not need to be treated. Apparently it's necessary to treat all of the units in a given section of the project. So I would recommend letting the managers know that you are willing to cooperate but physically unable to complete the preparation in 48 hours, due to a disability.

Also see the HUD/DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Accommodations at http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/library/huddojstatement.pdf. And as suggested, contact a local disability advocacy group for assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">