• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter laws in hawaii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zillig000

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I live in Honolulu with my girlfriend and two other roomates in an apartment where neither of us are on the lease but we have lived here for about 5 months. We have recently had issues with the other roommates and have been asked to leave. This has obviously created a serious dilema for me and I need some advice. I would like to know how the squatters law works for me in this situation. Is there a certain amount of time that I have before I have to move out? If so, how long would that be? I might be inquring about the wrong law, but I don't know anything about this aspect of the law. Can someone please help?

FarmerJ

search your state govt web page landlord and tenant links to learn how much notice month to month renters must be given when they are being asked to move out and that will be how much notice you are to be given .

JETX

zillig000 said:
I would like to know how the squatters law works for me in this situation.
Very simple... it doesn't. What you are trying to refer to is called 'adverse possession' and it takes YEARS of possessing, living on, paying taxes and improving the property before you can make a claim of OWNERSHIP. Since this is just a lease (at best), adverse possession (aka: squatters rights) doesn't apply.

Is there a certain amount of time that I have before I have to move out?
Nope. You can move out whenever you want. However, depending on the circumstances, you COULD be liable to the former roommates for unpaid rent, utilities and/or damages.

Z

zillig000

I just need to find out what my rights are to not pay rent for the remainder of the time that I live here. We are not on the lease and I don't see a reason that we should still be held responsible for the rent because we are getting kicked out.

JETX

zillig000 said:
I just need to find out what my rights are to not pay rent for the remainder of the time that I live here.
OH, is that what you were asking???
If so, the answer is very simple. You have NO rights to refuse to pay rent for the time that you stay there.

We are not on the lease and I don't see a reason that we should still be held responsible for the rent because we are getting kicked out.
Gee, lets see if I have this right.....
You somehow think that because you are being kicked out of someone elses home, you no longer think you are required to pay the rent that you agreed to pay. Is that right??
If so, then you need to quit smoking that Maui Wowie and get back to the real world.

Z

zillig000

I don't get how someone can be legally responsible for rent without an agreement with a landlord and especially since neither of our names have ever been on the lease. I have no problem paying the rent, its just the principle of the matter.

Z

zillig000

I also want to clarify that it is the one roommate who is on the lease that has asked us to leave, not the landlord.

JETX

And you are simply a sub-lessee of the 'official' lessee. That means that the person who's name IS on the lease is your landlord. And has the right to evict you..... and expect payment of rent for the entire duration of your tenancy. Including the time between your being told to leave and the time you actually do leave.

Z

zillig000

One of the reasons that I'm asking about this is because he is refusing to give back our security deposit, and if I can get away with not paying rent for a month that deposit will be covered.

Z

zillig000

So your saying that as my landlord he can keep my security deposit and make me pay rent for the the time while I still live there even though nothing has been damaged.

look up your state's landlord tenant law, he probably has to give you 30 days to move, but yes you have to pay rent until then. he also probably has 30 days after you move out to give your security deposit back. if he doesn't by then you have to sue him for it.

JETX

zillig000 said:
So your saying that as my landlord he can keep my security deposit and make me pay rent for the the time while I still live there even though nothing has been damaged.
Nope. That is NOT what we are saying at all. The rent and security deposit are two entirely separate issues. You pay rent while living there. The security deposit is to protect the landlord and cover his DAMAGES if any, during your tenancy. They are not connected in any way at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">