• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

squatter rights for NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andrea Weaver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Brooklyn, NY

I have a situation where my best friend, at the time, moved into my apt but she never signed a lease. She recently began socializing with a crew of homeless persons, all under some illegial subance. She starts to bring her "BF" which is a homeless man who sleeps by the river in NYC or Thompskins Square park, NYC. I said I didnt want any of those people in my apartment but she goes and brings him.

She began abusing me by saying the most obscene things about my military pesnion such as " I pay taxes for you live its not fair" and calls me "crazy" cause I dont want to live in a filthy apartment which I clean myself. She sleeps on a couch. She has yet to contribute to the household such as buying plates, cups, silverware, pots and pans or even cleaning supplies. I couldnt take this anymore as its making my life hell. What can I do legally to have her removed from my apartment cause she already threatened me phically as " you'll regret this..I'll F**king kill you..."What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

If your friend has established residency, you will have to go through a legal eviction process.

If no residency has been established, call the police and have the trespasser removed.

Banned_Princess

and by "no residency has been established" he means she just stayed with you one night.

its easy to get NYC's laws on the matter online. I just dont have them saved.

Most likely you have to evict this person.

BL

If the person has been there under two weeks ,they are usually considered guest .Over two weeks they could be considered resident.

It all depends on your agreement ,you said-they said .

The police may require the person to leave ,or not .

xylene

The police may require the person to leave ,or not .
The probability they will require the person to leave will greatly increase if the encounter takes place while the poster is calm and collected and the 'guest' is belligerent and intoxicated on 'some substance' - hopefully in possession of it also.

BL

The probability they will require the person to leave will greatly increase if the encounter takes place while the poster is calm and collected and the 'guest' is belligerent and intoxicated on 'some substance' - hopefully in possession of it also.
Excellent point .

Then if the police still says they are a resident ,they may require the offender to leave for the day/night .

I don't usually recommend violating Landlord/Tenant Law, if one was created ,but if someone sleeping on my couch threatened me ,while they were gone . I'd change the locks .

It's not like this person rent an entire unit by their selves ,so I doubt arrest would occur ,and I'd refuse any entry back in if the police stated I must .

I'd tell them ,I'll take my chances in court .

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Brooklyn, NY

I have a situation where my best friend, at the time, moved into my apt but she never signed a lease. She recently began socializing with a crew of homeless persons, all under some illegial subance. She starts to bring her "BF" which is a homeless man who sleeps by the river in NYC or Thompskins Square park, NYC. I said I didnt want any of those people in my apartment but she goes and brings him.

She began abusing me by saying the most obscene things about my military pesnion such as " I pay taxes for you live its not fair" and calls me "crazy" cause I dont want to live in a filthy apartment which I clean myself. She sleeps on a couch. She has yet to contribute to the household such as buying plates, cups, silverware, pots and pans or even cleaning supplies. I couldnt take this anymore as its making my life hell. What can I do legally to have her removed from my apartment cause she already threatened me phically as " you'll regret this..I'll F**king kill you..."What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Someone says that to me and I'm on the phone with the police faster than you can spit. Squatter taken to jail, TRO filed and problem solved.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">