• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrsmaine

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello all;

I currently own a house that has been in my family for 100 years. My mother has lived in it funtil July. Since she moved I have decided to sell and when I went to examine the property I found people living there. They claim my mother gave them permission to stay, however my mom claims she was doing them a favor while she was there and they moved when she did. As the house is not on either of our driving routes, I suppose it would be easy for someone with a key to come and go undetected. I called the police because I believed these people to be trespassing and was told that because they had possession and a key. It was a tenant/landlord issue and I would have to follow eviction procedure. I don't know these people and I certainly didn't give them permission to live there. Is eviction my only recourse?

FarmerJ

treat them as month to month tenants and give them the notice that your state requires of month to month tenants . look at your state govt web page landlord and tenant links . or just make it simpler and see a local real estate atty and have her or him take care of it so it is done right with out error .

stevek3

mrsmaine said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello all;

I currently own a house that has been in my family for 100 years. My mother has lived in it funtil July. Since she moved I have decided to sell and when I went to examine the property I found people living there. They claim my mother gave them permission to stay, however my mom claims she was doing them a favor while she was there and they moved when she did. As the house is not on either of our driving routes, I suppose it would be easy for someone with a key to come and go undetected. I called the police because I believed these people to be trespassing and was told that because they had possession and a key. It was a tenant/landlord issue and I would have to follow eviction procedure. I don't know these people and I certainly didn't give them permission to live there. Is eviction my only recourse?
Give them a thirty-day notice to vacate the premises. Needless to say, 30 days later, they'll still be there. When the 30 days is up, give them a three-day notice, or you can simply post it on the door. That notice has specific language required by law. You can find the appropriate form language somewhere online or from an Ohio landlord, if you happen to know one. After the three days is up, you can then file the court action. If you give the notice on a Monday, the first day you could file the forcible entry and detainer complaint would be that Friday. If you give the notice on Tuesday, the first day would be the following Monday. If you don't know the names of the freeloaders, you should name the defendants something to the effect of "Any and all John Does and Jane Does and any and all other occupants." The entire process to finally get them out should take roughly 9-10 weeks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">