• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

squatter's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jc1265

What is the name of your state? New York
i have a squatter family in my apartment and the landlord wants to give the residence to them because i moved out for a few months. what are my rights and those the the squatters?

HomeGuru

jc1265 said:
i have a squatter family in my apartment and the landlord wants to give the residence to them because i moved out for a few months. what are my rights and those the the squatters?
**A: turn the place into a time share.

J

jc1265

not an option. i do not own the apartment though it should be becoming co-op in two to three years.

JETX

"i have a squatter family in my apartment and the landlord wants to give the residence to them because i moved out for a few months."
*** How did this 'squatter family' get access to your property?? Did you notify the management/landlord that you were 'moving out' for a few months?? Did you pay the rent during your absence?? Did you move all your property out?? What makes you think you still have 'rights' to the property?? Did you have a written lease?? When does/did that written lease expire?? Did the landlord notify you that your right to tenancy (or lease) would be terminated??

"what are my rights and those the the squatters?"
*** Depends on the answers to the above.

C

condaggitt

jc1265 said:

HUH? how did that family wind up in your apartment? and why do you think they are squatters?

Was this aprtment rent stabilzed or rent controlled?

Did you have a legal sublease?

you have to explian everything in detail.

H

hexeliebe

And I'm late for my remedial reading class...

geeez, I should have stayed in bed today :rolleyes:

JETX

I have a petition pending in Congress to try to change the day to 28 hours!!! I can't seem to get it all done in 24.
:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">