• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter's rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ryansmom122802

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I am posting for a friend of mine who is worried that she is in a sticky situation. She and her husband allowed a friend and her young son to move into their home a few months ago as she was homeless and leaving her husband. Well the friend's husband ended up moving in as well..yes..my friend and her hubby have let them walk all over them. They wanted to help this family and now fear it has come back to bite them in the butt.

They are getting ready to put their home on the market and will be moving out in a few weeks to allow the husband time to get the house fixed up, etc. for the sale. My friend's uncle, who has had rental property for 20 years, has now told her that he thinks these friends have squatter's rights and can not be asked to move out in a few weeks. Unfortunately it has come to light that these "friends" are not as nice as they thought and would be the type to claim squatter's rights.

They were never given a lease as my friends didn't believe that they would be living in their home for an extended period of time.

We can't find anything about WV squatter's rights at all and are hoping that someone will be able to help them.
Thanks in advance!

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I am posting for a friend of mine who is worried that she is in a sticky situation. She and her husband allowed a friend and her young son to move into their home a few months ago as she was homeless and leaving her husband. Well the friend's husband ended up moving in as well..yes..my friend and her hubby have let them walk all over them. They wanted to help this family and now fear it has come back to bite them in the butt.

They are getting ready to put their home on the market and will be moving out in a few weeks to allow the husband time to get the house fixed up, etc. for the sale. My friend's uncle, who has had rental property for 20 years, has now told her that he thinks these friends have squatter's rights and can not be asked to move out in a few weeks. Unfortunately it has come to light that these "friends" are not as nice as they thought and would be the type to claim squatter's rights.

They were never given a lease as my friends didn't believe that they would be living in their home for an extended period of time.

We can't find anything about WV squatter's rights at all and are hoping that someone will be able to help them.
Thanks in advance!
there is no such thing as squatter's rights. However, your friend has basicially given the people a constructive lease by letting them stay for so long. It's time for her to send them a 30 day quit notice and if they do not leave, evict them.

seniorjudge

there is no such thing as squatter's rights. However, your friend has basicially given the people a constructive lease by letting them stay for so long. It's time for her to send them a 30 day quit notice and if they do not leave, evict them.
Yes, I agree.

Read up on what you need to do to get rid of the people you let stay there.

Google (for example)

west virginia landlord tenant statutes eviction

Ellerge

The LEGAL way is to evict them.
The ILLEGAL way is to tell them that you are moving out on a certain date and you are changing the locks and IF they are in the house after that date, you are calling the cops AND YOU DO NOT WISH THEM TO GO TO JAIL.
DON'T DO THIS!

johnd

Read the terms of your lease and know the laws of your state. In Wisconsin, there is no such thing as squatter's rights. I do not allow subletting. If you've ever accepted a rental payment from these people, you've made them mtm tenants. If I ever had such a case (unknown squatters from whom I never received payment), I would immediately call the police, and have them thrown out by the scruff of their necks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">