• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatters Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steven1972

What is the name of your state? New York

I'm moving into a new aprtment with my girlfriend and daughter on May 1st. The prior tenants who were suppose to be out as of April 1st, refuse to move and even told the Lanlord he would have to get the Sheriff in order to get them out. The landlord was cool and gave us the option of moving upstairs until he gets them out.

I'm under the immpression that I can use the grill/backyard/patio furniture and everything else the Landlord owns as of May 1st. I don't know if they fall into the Squatters category, but I know they've only been in the place since February and only paid him half the rent for March.

Am I well within my rights or do I have to wait until they move out? Or should I do nothing at all?

Its hard to sit on this because they refuse to move out and it feels like I would be paying for them to stay in an apartment they should of vacated already.What is the name of your state?

BL

Your LL has to evict through the court .

If the yard is a shared yard , and the LL owns the furniture , you should be within your rights to use it .

Confirm with the LL for use , then if said tenant harasses you while using common property , call the police for the dispute .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">