• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter's Rights ? - CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whijade

Connecticut

Are there any laws protecting people from being turned out on the street by family? I've heard in some states if you live in a place for a certain amount of time, even without a written lease, they cannot evict you without going through eviction procedures.

I have a friend who was turned out of her parent's house and she has a small child. She had no job, no car, and is on welfare assistance from the state. Can they do this? Does she have any rights?

FarmerJ

If she is a adult, her family has no obligation to allow her to live with them, at very best she might have had the same right to proper notice to vacate as any other month to month tenant. But if she is now out of the home she should use what ever tools and assistance there is from welfare and public housing and move forward.

ecmst12

Yes, she had the same rights as a tenant. Her family should have given her proper written notice per state laws. However, did she leave voluntarily when asked, or did they take measures such as changing locks or removing her belongings? If they asked her to leave and she did without being forced, then there was no illegal eviction.

whijade

She was leaving for a 1 week trip to visit us in NJ. Up until the moment she left, her parents acted as if everything was fine and she was coming back in 1 week. She has her 2 year old baby with her. They even asked if she had left enough food and litter for her pet ferret to last the week. They took her to the bus terminal, and as they were saying good bye as she was getting on the bus, they asked for her house key. When she asked why, her mother said, "You're not to come back into my house. When you get a real address I'll mail you the rest of your things."

She knew they were angry with her and her mother had threatened to kick her out about a month ago but the way she acted and didn't bring it up again she thought she had gotten over it.

So I'm not sure where that falls as far as unfair or illegal actions.

Alaska landlord

If your friend is old enough to play grownup and take on adult responsibilities like raising a child. Then, it’s about time she stopped being a burden on her parents and the rest of society. Take her in if you like, but she needs to find a job and get a life.

CourtClerk

If your friend is old enough to play grownup and take on adult responsibilities like raising a child. Then, it’s about time she stopped being a burden on her parents and the rest of society. Take her in if you like, but she needs to find a job and get a life.
Ditto. Let me get this right. She doesn't have a job, she has a child she is incapable of supporting on her own, but she can go on vacation for a week to visit her friends all the while looking for someone else (me, Alaska LL, her parents, etc.) to support her? She needed to use that spare time looking for a job, not playing around with her friends.

HomeGuru

Connecticut

Are there any laws protecting people from being turned out on the street by family? I've heard in some states if you live in a place for a certain amount of time, even without a written lease, they cannot evict you without going through eviction procedures.

I have a friend who was turned out of her parent's house and she has a small child. She had no job, no car, and is on welfare assistance from the state. Can they do this?

**A: yes.

Does she have any rights?

**A: yes, she has a right to apply to seek refuge in a private or public shelter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">