• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MadmanMSU

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I moved into an apartment this past January. The previous two tenants who lived there and who had signed the lease had vacated the premises, and one person who was subleasing was living there. I had an agreement to pay her(the subleaser) half of her rent to live there. Neither one of us actually signed any papers, so I believe technically we are squatting.

My question is this: if the management finds out about us living there, are we legally responsible for any of the rent owed at all? Are we legally responsible for anything since neither of us have signed a shred of paper?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I moved into an apartment this past January. The previous two tenants who lived there and who had signed the lease had vacated the premises, and one person who was subleasing was living there. I had an agreement to pay her(the subleaser) half of her rent to live there. Neither one of us actually signed any papers, so I believe technically we are squatting.

My question is this: if the management finds out about us living there, are we legally responsible for any of the rent owed at all? Are we legally responsible for anything since neither of us have signed a shred of paper?
Absolutely. And, it serves you right-with that USERID!:D

MadmanMSU

so what are we legally liable for? And just out of curiosity, how would they collect if they don't even know my name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">