• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nmargiolas

What is the name of your state? NC

I recently found a home to rent and the landlord was hard of hearing it was very difficult to communicate with him. I had made a deal to move in on August 12 but would pay for all of August as he had not wanted to wait that long to rent it and I really liked the place. I sent him a 400.oo deposit to hold the place until the 12th of August. He informed me on July 29th that he had rented the apt out to someone else and would not be returning my money. There was a lack of communication and there is no lease at all I never signed a thing with this man. He claimed he would send be back half of the 400 as a negotation and I was willing to settle for that as I just did not want to have to go to court at all. Anyhow he has not sent me the 200 at all. Can I avoid court at all by contacting anyone to mediate for me? I am BROKE as I have now had to find a new place and with paying them the deposit at the new place and losing out on 400 I could not pay my current landlord and he is evicing me. I really can not afford to go to court at this moment. If that is my only option do I have a certain amount of time to file in small claims?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">