• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations for itemized bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roc

California
California
My landlord has sent myself as well as my ex-roommates an unreasonable itemized bill for various things. We no doubt plan on contesting these charges and possibly going to small claims court if need be. However, we would like to avoid this at all costs, if possible. With that said, California Civil Code 1950.5 states that landlords have 3 weeks (from the time they regain possession of the dwelling) to send the security deposit and/or itemized bill. However, the first notice of an itemized bill (or anything for that matter) my roommates and I received was over 5 weeks after we moved out. Since the statute of limitations had expired, does this mean the landlord has forfeited his opportunity to be reimbursed for anything he claims we owe and that we would "win" by default or a technicality??? My lease ended on 9/1 and we returned the keys on 9/1 and also moved out this day. We didn't hear anything until an email came on 10/9 which said he was sending us an itemized bill which arrived shortly after. This is 5 weeks and 2 days.

Hot Topic

Your landlord needed to send you receipts from the companies or independent contracts who repaired the (alleged) damages within the timeframe of the California law in order to subtract those monies from your security deposit. Or he needed to prove that he was taking steps to have the (alleged) damage repaired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">