• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stayed for only 3 months and unreasonably high move out charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wise_renter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I subleased an apartment unit in Irving, TX from the original lessee and stayed there for 3 months. Now, after vacating as per written vacation notice, the apartment authority has sent me a notice of more than $600 in move out charges which I believe is unreasonably high. Only a couple of charges are itemized that totals to about $20. I have a long leasing history in US and I maintain my unit properly with vacuum cleaning frequently and maintaining other things pretty well. I haven't been charged this high amount ever before. In fact, I have never been charged a move out charge in the past. And, I have stayed here just 3 months. I also don't remember being presented with a move-in checklist. I haven't clicked any pictures as well before moving out. Please advise on how I should go about dealing with this. I surely don't intend to pay the exorbitant charges.

wise_renter

Was this $600 taken from a security deposit?

What do these charges cover?

Gail
Thanks for replying. Yes, there was a $200 deposit that the original lessee had paid so they have deducted that amount from the total charge. I got only a couple of itemized charges totaling some $20 odd for carpet, vinyl flooring and some description that I don't know the meaning of. And there is a total of some $600 odd for move out checklist charges. Nothing is itemized for this charge of $600+

Gail in Georgia

So it appears that you did not provide a security deposit and thus the issue is not that you are disputing the amount taken from your security deposit.

You are a big vague regarding what their claim of "move out checklist charges" entails.

If you don't intend to pay these charges then don't...and wait and see if the complex either sues you for these or turns these over to a collection agency. If they sue you for them it would be beneficial if you have pictures of the condition of the rental unit at move out to dispute the landlords/managements claims of damages above normal wear and tear.

Good luck..

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">