• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phoenixnow

What is the name of your state? IL

I HAD a drop box for rent, but when my tenant claimed someone stole his cashiers check from the drop box I tore out the drop box and I am having the tenants drop off or mail there rent directly to me. I did report to the police that he claimed his rent check was stolen from the box.
The tenant “claiming” his February rent check was stolen paid his March rent on time
I believe he is liable for the February rent and late fees and penalties he claims from the banks. He claims the rent was on two separate checks one of them was cashed --- I don’t believe a cashiers check altered and cashed
Is there any way I am liable I never saw the check?
What remedies can I tell the tenant he can make?
Does he go after the bank who cashed the check?
The currency exchange that generated the check?
Or is this just garbage is he trying to play me?
Do I just tell him he has to pay it period?

FarmerJ

Talk to a bank in the area of the rental and see if they will open for you a rent account where tenants can pay the rent at in cash and get a rct, then you can track payments via telebank. Seriously plan for taking the tenant to court , Your tenant will have to come up with the missing funds and pay up. The payment drop box was a good thing for some of your tenants ill bet but there allways was the risk that one would claim it was paid but stolen or lost some how . Your tenant will have to show proof of payment, to court wether they like it or not. follow thru and start what you need to to prepare for taking them to court for not paying the rent.

Cvillecpm

Tenant needs to provide you evidence of the cashing of the Cashier's check ASAP and they need to put a stop payment on it and get the $$$ to you. Write tenant and give them 10 days to replace the check or you will start charging late fee per your lease.

Drop Boxes on site are NEVER a good idea. Tenant depositing directly into your bank account via deposit slips you have provided is better as is providing them SAE for rental payments to YOUR po box.

Alaska landlord

Tenant has to pay you in cash now and work out other problems with the bank and police. Anyone else have their check stolen? How is that just her MO was stolen? Something stinks about her story.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">