• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

storage unit laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oneillsem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My husband and I rented a storage unit in spokane washington for our things. we are having some financial difficulties and have not been able to pay them in full. Our rent was due October 2nd and we only sent them $55 out of $100 and then it was due agian in November and we weren't able to send them any money. we are doing everything we can but I am the only one working and at most I can only get 29 hours at work so I am bringing in about $800 a month and my husband isnt working and we have to support our daughter too. The storage unit says that if I dont send them the full amount with in the week they will sell all of our things at auction. I get paid on Friday the 19th and If I have to I can send them the money but it will be almost all of my paycheck (I owe them $197) I am wondering if I send them some money (not the full amount) can they legally still sell all of my things?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My husband and I rented a storage unit in spokane washington for our things. we are having some financial difficulties and have not been able to pay them in full. Our rent was due October 2nd and we only sent them $55 out of $100 and then it was due agian in November and we weren't able to send them any money. we are doing everything we can but I am the only one working and at most I can only get 29 hours at work so I am bringing in about $800 a month and my husband isnt working and we have to support our daughter too. The storage unit says that if I dont send them the full amount with in the week they will sell all of our things at auction. I get paid on Friday the 19th and If I have to I can send them the money but it will be almost all of my paycheck (I owe them $197) I am wondering if I send them some money (not the full amount) can they legally still sell all of my things?
You should remove your items from storage.

Banned_Princess

If you cant get your things because they locked you out, then you have to get them the money, the contract says they can sell your stuff for delenquent rent, then they absolutely do not have to accept anything except the full amount in exchange for your things being safe from sale.

sandyclaus

Sorry, but the standard residential landlord-tenant laws do not apply to self storage unit rentals. They have a set of laws all their own, which include the fact that if you do not pay your rent in full, they can lock you out of the storage unit. If you still haven't paid the rent within a specified amount of time after lockout, they can take possession of everything in the unit and sell it to pay off your unpaid space rent.

Here is a link to the self-storage laws as they apply specifically to you: Self Storage Laws - Washington

Your best bet, if you want to keep the stuff stored in the unit, is to find someway to pay it off. Borrow the money or get it somehow - or say goodbye to the contents of the unit forever.

oneillsem

Thank you guys for your help. I just couldnt find the laws online. I figured this would be the answer my sister-in-law said that they couldnt take my stuff if I sent them something so I figured I would check for sure before I did that. I really appreciate your time!!

Proserpina

Sorry, but the standard residential landlord-tenant laws do not apply to self storage unit rentals. They have a set of laws all their own, which include the fact that if you do not pay your rent in full, they can lock you out of the storage unit. If you still haven't paid the rent within a specified amount of time after lockout, they can take possession of everything in the unit and sell it to pay off your unpaid space rent.

Here is a link to the self-storage laws as they apply specifically to you: Self Storage Laws - Washington

Your best bet, if you want to keep the stuff stored in the unit, is to find someway to pay it off. Borrow the money or get it somehow - or say goodbye to the contents of the unit forever.

Exactly. They're not going to let you in to retrieve your goods (and for good reason - that would make it infinitely easier to screw the storage company).

I've just watched both of my skids go through this. Lost everything they had in the units due to non-payment. Entirely their own fault (because you know how more important it is to buy those shoes and go out partying than it is to actually pay your bills :rolleyes: ) but they were absolutely outraged at the audacity of the storage company (!).

OP, either find the money or lose the goods.

I'm also in WA, btw - I am more than a little familiar with this ;)

bdancer

Once you pay the back rent, maybe you should rethink if you really need to keep all that stuff in storage. Might be better to sell it off. You'd put some cash in your hands and get rid of the monthly storage fee costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">