• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange situation. 30 Day Notice required 2 months before lease is up.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfreeland311

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

Hey all.
I have a question.

I received a notice on June 26, 2009, stating that if I did not wish to renew my lease (which ends on August 31, 2009) that I would have to put, specifically, a 30 day notice in by June 30, 2009.

I thought this was strange, talked to someone in the office and they said it was correct. I put my 30 day notice in on June 30, 2009(these apartments have went significantly downhill since I first moved in, so I knew I was moving after this year's lease was up). Well, since they forced me to put a 30 day notice, I finished cleaning the apartment and turned in my keys yesterday. They remind me that I still owe for August rent.

How is it fair that they force me to leave the apartment by July 30th, but want me to pay for the month of August as well.

I explained my situation to the property manager, that I've already moved, and cannot afford to pay rent on both properties this month...but if I would have known I was responsible for August, I wouldn't have moved until the end of this month, so that my rent payments wouldn't overlap. As a kicker, she said 'Well you can keep your keys until the end of August if you need to...' No, that's NOT what I need to do, I need to have this situation fixed. I've already moved everything out and cleaned.

They said 'Well, we'll send you a bill'

How is it legal for them to make me move out before the beginning of August, but expect me to pay for August?

I also took pictures and did a video walkthrough in case they try anything fishy, as I've heard they will.
The apt also had a black mold problem that was addressed by the previous tenant before I moved in, and was addressed three times by me via email, and once via phone, but they never fixed it.

Last edited:

dfreeland311

Where did the 30 days come in? You needed to give NOTICE - apparently 60 days in advance.
The letter stated that since my lease was ending, I needed to give them a 30 day notice (30 days, specifically) and it had to be turned in by June 30, 2009.

and I questioned this, and the lady at the front desk said it was correct.

So, I was forced to give my apt complex a 30 day notice over a full month before my lease was up, since I wasn't renewing my lease.

I'm not the first person this has happened to. Renter's forums and the BBB are loaded with stories about shady stuff like this.

I reported them 3 months ago for, 3 days in a row, entering my apt without any notice. They're the shadiest landlords I've ever had by far.

alex468

The lease that you signed is the mutually-agreed-upon legal document, and the letter and conversation, unfortunately, may be some combination of a clerical error, a conversation with a clueless person, and a nasty sneaky business practice.

Does the lease also indicate that you need to give 30 days notice by June 30? If so, then, if I were in your shoes, I would consider not paying the August rent and letting them come after you for it.

If the lease mentions a 60 day notice or gives a combination of dates that makes sense then, if I were in your shoes, I would pay the August rent and complain to the Better Business Bureau about the letter and the conversation. That may get you your money back. If you see a lot of unaddressed complaints at the BBB web site, I would still pay for August, but I would try to contact a local media outlet or consumer advocate.

Good luck.

dfreeland311

Unfortunately, this mistake is one that I know they have repeated. I know of one other person that's lived there, personally, that has had the exact same problem.

I filed a complaint with the BBB as the property manager would not even speak to me when I was in the office today, and refused to even listen to my side of the story, even after acknowledging that they misinformed me of my move-out date.

alex468

Potential new tenants for September will have a nice, clean, unoccupied apartment to examine in August thanks to you.

Mass_Shyster

The letter stated that since my lease was ending, I needed to give them a 30 day notice (30 days, specifically) and it had to be turned in by June 30, 2009.
I would send them a letter explaining that THEY terminated your lease early by requiring a 30 day notice by June 30, and that you moved out in accordance with THEIR request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">