• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stuck in an Elevator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

There is no liability at all for an elevator mishap. There is for negligence. Getting stuck in an elevator for an hour, if the result of negligence, will cost the landlord more than $30 in small claims no matter the defendant.

I do taxes and specialize in people who own income property. They're my friends and my clients. I understand the problems of running an apartment complex. I also see the litigation expense and attorney fees of some and ask about it.

You would be amazed at how is spent when one takes a rigid approach of disrespect. They don't say they disrespected the tenant, but I hear attitudes much like I'm hearing here. Three day notice to quit or pay the moment the rent is late? Absolutely. Dismissal and disregard for legitimate complaints? It's going to cost someday.

Tayla

I realized some folks are doing there dernest to be rational and realistic . But I am STILL 100% mystified that a CELL Phone works in an elevator!! Sorry OP just find that derned amazing and dern lucky that it did work. :)

PS- Thanks Tranq for being informative to the poster.

ecmst12

To be fair, although AL and CV have attitude to spare, OP didn't indicate that her actual property manager was anything but apologetic, and she did offer the gift card without any threats or demands from the tenant, which IMO, was doing the right thing.

Alaska landlord

Would OP be on this forum if the manager had offered her a free Big Mac coupon for her troubles? I think not. But, by giving her 30.00 the manager has alerted OP to the possibility that the experience was worth a lot more.

As for the attitude...Let’s just say that we know that tenants that are coddled often develop bad habits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">