• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Students wanting to break a lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JeansLover

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. I moved into a three family house with two roommates in the mid of Aug for Grad school. It has been hell every since we moved in. For starters we have NEVER seen our landlord that lives upstairs. Her husband "manager" is the only guy we have been dealing with. It is a long story but i will get straight to the point. Yesterday morning my roommates and I got a "notice to cease". In it he placed a ridiculous letter stating how we are rude,mean and we never say hello. He also stated that we are letting ourselves down as well as our cosigners and each other. In the so called notice the reason he put were 1) laundry can only be used between 9am-9pm. This one time my roommate had a 9am class and did laundry at 8am. He called to complain and we said it won't happen again and it never has 2) we need to show ID for all incoming guests. The lease says we need to show ID if they stay over 24hrs. So that one makes no sense. We pay our rent the day its due. We are never home. All three of us leave by 9-10am and come home around 9-10pm. We are all from out of state so its not like we have alot of family/friends we can invite. Its always quiet....CAUSE WE ARE NEVER HOME!

is there any way out of this? I checked the lease and it says nothing about breaking the lease. I know we need a lawyer but we are full time students so we don't have the funds to get one. HES NOT EVEN THE LANDLORD!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">