• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sublet tenant wont leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

howbigis1gb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I originally signed a lease from June as some people said they would sublet our apartment and they flaked.

So me and my roommate were left to shoulder the burden of having to find new people to sublet our apartment.

In our desperation, we found one person to stay at a (very) reduced rent. (From 1000 to 780)

Once this person *moved in*, he shot me an email saying that his father was ill and he had to leave. He also mentioned in the email that he would get all his stuff out of the apartment in the next hour (following the mail he sent me). Obviously I was upset about it and I shot him an email saying that what he did was very unfair.

Now he wrote back saying this - " willing to relent and pay you, at least for the month of July to help you out of your predicament, however I need you to agree to come down a little bit more on the rent".

I did come down (further - to 600) on the rent and he deposited a check, but once I received the money, he said his dad was no longer sick and he needed to stay. I am unable to fill his spot for the month of July because he is refusing to leave.

No contract was signed but I have extensive email exchanges

I am clueless about what to do. :confused:

I am only a student

Will someone please help

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I originally signed a lease from June as some people said they would sublet our apartment and they flaked.

So me and my roommate were left to shoulder the burden of having to find new people to sublet our apartment.

In our desperation, we found one person to stay at a (very) reduced rent. (From 1000 to 780)

Once this person *moved in*, he shot me an email saying that his father was ill and he had to leave. He also mentioned in the email that he would get all his stuff out of the apartment in the next hour (following the mail he sent me). Obviously I was upset about it and I shot him an email saying that what he did was very unfair.

Now he wrote back saying this - " willing to relent and pay you, at least for the month of July to help you out of your predicament, however I need you to agree to come down a little bit more on the rent".

I did come down (further - to 600) on the rent and he deposited a check, but once I received the money, he said his dad was no longer sick and he needed to stay. I am unable to fill his spot for the month of July because he is refusing to leave.

No contract was signed but I have extensive email exchanges

I am clueless about what to do. :confused:

I am only a student

Will someone please help

**A: your post is confusing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">