• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subsidized housing drama and lots of it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My 55 year old cousin is developmentally disabled, although there is no guardianship. Guardianships are notoriously hard to get in this state. I am already guardian to his sister, only because she was critically ill.

He lived in a city owned subsidized apartment with his elderly father. They had a two bedroom apartment. He can cook and clean and manage his few bills, but that's the extent of it.

His father passed away and he was put on the waiting list for a one bedroom. This was two years ago.

Now that one bedroom apartment is available and my cousin is scrambling to get rid of an enormous amount of "stuff" that his father hoarded.

Someone from the management company is going to visit him on Wednesday. I'd go, but I was in a motor vehicle accident and am stuck elsewhere.

Does he get 30 days notice before having to move?

Can the management company talk to me without his permission. I kept telling him that and he said "You have my permission." I told him "You have to tell them that, not me." But I don't think he understood the concept.

Any suggestions for dealing with the management company would be appreciated.

And before you give me a lecture, I'd prefer he live in a group home with his peers, or at least in an apartment with his sister (she lives in a similar apartment complex in another town). Since there's no guardianship, it's really up to him.

OHRoadwarrior

As long as he continues to meet the criteria, they are usually very easy to work with. You need to get with him and have him advise them, you are advocating for him. Things will go smoothly as long as you don't make unreasonable demands and go with the flow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">