• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a former roommate for unpaid rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MeganIYH

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
On September 21rst I moved from Texas to California to live in a duplex with an exboyfriend. He left(he still lives in the area, though) around the second week of my arrival and later said he wasn't coming back. I have since tried to convince him and his family to pay what he owes but they refuse to pay the amount I'm asking for. I was able to find a new roommate but this wasn't until after two months of paying my former roommate's half of everything. If I bring him to small claims court what kind of proof do I need to show that I have paid his half of the rent and utilities(he's not going to deny that I have as he thinks he was not obligated to pay)? Most of the receipts I had for utility payments were lost recently but I do still have proof that my father paid his half of the rent and the $1500 security deposit. We didn't have any written agreements that he would pay half of everything, aside from the 6 month lease which I recently had to remove him from so I could add my new roommate. Do I have a case? What should I do to prepare for court? Is meeting with a mediator or lawyer an option if I don't have money to pay them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Dont expect to get utility money for the time he didnt live there , its very unfair ask just for the number of days of utilitys that he owes you from the time he moved out like say electric meter was read on the 1st and the bill came out on the 10th and he moved out on the 9th then he owes 1/2 of 9 days plus past month . Utility company can get you copys of the past bills.

R

rikers

Go a head Home Guru tell him what a dumb ass answer he gave. HA HA HA HA HA.

FarmerJ

megan many courts use mediators first to try to settle things so you should be able to ask for the number of days for his share of utils. & his share of the rent . bring with you a copy of your new lease so you can also show the date that you did bring in his replacement tenant . Bring with you to court a copy of the lease . He has no defense for moving out and not paying his share . There really is no way to know what the court is gonna do but the copy of the lease and his not giving you any real kind of notice in writting will make him look quite bad in court . Good luck to you in court .

HomeGuru

MeganIYH said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
On September 21rst I moved from Texas to California to live in a duplex with an exboyfriend. He left(he still lives in the area, though) around the second week of my arrival and later said he wasn't coming back. I have since tried to convince him and his family to pay what he owes but they refuse to pay the amount I'm asking for. I was able to find a new roommate but this wasn't until after two months of paying my former roommate's half of everything. If I bring him to small claims court what kind of proof do I need to show that I have paid his half of the rent and utilities(he's not going to deny that I have as he thinks he was not obligated to pay)? Most of the receipts I had for utility payments were lost recently but I do still have proof that my father paid his half of the rent and the $1500 security deposit. We didn't have any written agreements that he would pay half of everything, aside from the 6 month lease which I recently had to remove him from so I could add my new roommate. Do I have a case? What should I do to prepare for court? Is meeting with a mediator or lawyer an option if I don't have money to pay them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
**A: sue in small claims court. Your evidence would be the written lease, your paid bills, the fact that he was living at the property as a tenant etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">