• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Swimming Pool

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pmoore

Florida. Issue with lease, swimming pool, landlord.
I have not had a great time here. My husband (a stroke patient since 1999) and I moved here with the encouragement of a friend who had a friend who had a house to lease with option. I signed the lease in May 2001 sight unseen. Began payments as early as May for the June rent. I was charged for Mowing the lawn, pool supplies, water bill and the landlords shopping for a total of $200.00 over and above the rent of $650.00 each month before I arrived. Moved into the house in September 2001. Being a 24/7 caregiver for my husband, no way to get groceries except to shop between 3 and 6 am while my husband slept in bed.
Not being a sun worshiper I did not swim in the cloroxed pool. I did continue maintenance until 3 months ago when the hoses began breaking. I replaced the first one, turned on the pump and filter, they did not work properly. Asked a neighbor and was told probably the 'O' ring. Was told where to find this 'O' ring and sure enough it was stretched. Have purchased a new 2nd hose and not attached it, am still contemplating getting the 'O' ring. I don't know if I should bother bringing the pool up to clear bleach or leave it for the landlady to deal with. I've been dropped to pauper, since my husband's Social Security payments have stopped entirely, he died 5 days before the 1st of August so I've no money, there was no insurance, his children paid for and buried him. I have to wait until November to receive my first Widow's benefits and I don't know how much that will be. But between now and November I have to rely on help from friends even to move back North which I am getting ready to do in about 2 weeks.
What shall I do? I feel like a rat leaving the pool in such a mess but I don't have the money to clean it up.
Please advise if you can.

:mad: :confused:

L

loserrr

I would NOT move in 2 weeks.......

Untill everthing is straightened out with the landlord and it is signed.

The Flordia Laws on landlord/tenant is probably the worst in the nation towards tenants, and if you leave without dotting your i's, and covering you azzz you will be paying for this for a long time,

so when exactly does your lease end? May 2001- may 2002...did you sign another lease?

Are you a month to month tenant? Then you could gve your andlord a 30 day notice to move , do a final walk through of the aprtment take lots of pictures and YOU MUST get the landlord to sign off on what you owe or she owes you BEFORE you hand back the keys.And if YOU owe her money You Must pay it before you leave. NO CASH...NO CASH, must be a check!!!

What about your security depsoit, you could let her keep it, in exchange for the damages, of course everthing has to be in writing.

What if the landlord screws you and gets a judgment agisnst you, can you go back to Florida and sue the landlord? and what if bill collectors start calling you in a few months? They will get money from you when you get a job.

See why you just cant leave in 2 weeks....AND YOU CAN NEVER EVER LOSE THE PAPERS YOU SIGNED WITH THE LANDLORD!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">