• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking SD for damage to public area

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahmeridith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

In Macomb county Michigan. My former landlord took $75 from my deposit for a crack in a window in the hallway (the hallway outside of my apartment where other tenents have access). I did not break this window, nor did I ever ever see the crack. I left my apartment perfect. The lease says the tenet will be charged for damage to stairwells/hallways but can they legally charge me for a broken window that they cannot even prove I broke?

It costs about $45 for small claims court in this county, but if I can cite a specfic law/case that proves this is not legal then I think it is worth it on principle. I am very upset about this. Can anyone tell me if there is a specfic law.

Thank you.

Gail in Georgia

A specific law about what?

Principle or not, it really isn't worth your time and trouble to file a $45 fee over a $75 broken window.

Could you win a court case? Possibly. However, winning is no guarantee you'll ever see a penny of this judgement.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">