• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taking in someone else

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wassdeet

CA

I live in an older bldg in San Fernando valley and pay $1400 for a 2-bedroom apt where I've lived in the same apt for 25 yrs. I'm considering taking in someone to help costs and wonder what happens or not happens. Naturally I'll ask the manager but I thought I should read thru the basic rules on this. I live in Agreement/Lease.

Any advise appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CA

I live in an older bldg in San Fernando valley and pay $1400 for a 2-bedroom apt where I've lived in the same apt for 25 yrs. I'm considering taking in someone to help costs and wonder what happens or not happens. Naturally I'll ask the manager but I thought I should read thru the basic rules on this. I live in Agreement/Lease.

Any advise appreciated.
You question is overly broad, but I will say that you would be wise to study up on the state and city laws with regard to the landlord/tenant relationship.

FarmerJ

if your not sure how you will feel with having a roommate then by all means think about making it a week by week deal or two weeks at a time so that way if they want to move out they only have to give to you a 2 week notice or if you find that you cant stand them then you can give to them a 2 week notice to move out.

reenzz

As long as your not under low income housing or section 8 housing, it shouldn't be a problem if the landlord agrees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">