• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Catbbs

Well if the landlord does nothing and lets this continue can i take him to court? and how long do i have to wait? The cop told me to file a harrasment charge to the district atty office about the tenants if it continues but to first let the landlord take care of it.:mad: Im in PA BTW

N

NancyLou9

Okay, olay, so I had some typos...

And one spot where I mis-typed...

"In my experience I have found that the tenants iniate eviction proceedings"

The landlord ALWAYS is the one to INITIATE the eviction proceedings...

And the landlord is not sharing any personal info pertaining to any other tenant by calling them in to court to testify... And it would seem that the landlord is already discussing this with the other tenants as the original poster is already privy to the fact that the landlord wants to evict...

I certainly didn't realize that no one here ever had a typo or put a wrong word in, seeing as the words tenant and landlord have been thrown around do much...

And in a manner of speaking, to get really heavy into the semantics, the tenant really is the one to initiate the proceedings by doing things that violate the lease or the policies of the property...

N

NancyLou9

You could always move

When is your lease up?

If the landlord refuses to do anything, and I can't see that this is the case at this point, so you might be worrying about something that isn't going to happen, then you may be able to leave before your lease is up, but that's putting the cart before the horse and you really should discuss that one with someone who is more versed in Tenant law than I am... All I know about it is from the person who filed the evictions and went to court to prove the case... I know nothing more about it than that...

Give the landlord a chance to do something... Am I safe in assuming that this is not a corporate held complex?

Now, I'm off to Versuslaw to look for case law in my little summons delivery thing...

dequeendistress

Re: Okay, olay, so I had some typos...

NancyLou9 said:
And one spot where I mis-typed...

The landlord ALWAYS is the one to INITIATE the eviction proceedings..."

My response : Well, of course you are right.

"And the landlord is not sharing any personal info pertaining to any other tenant by calling them in to court to testify... And it would seem that the landlord is already discussing this with the other tenants as the original poster is already privy to the fact that the landlord wants to evict... "

My response: Yes it would "seem" that the landlord is discussing this with other residents, but sending them a written notice as to the status of an eviction is a different story.

"I certainly didn't realize that no one here ever had a typo or put a wrong word in, seeing as the words tenant and landlord have been thrown around do much..."

My response: I have many errors in my posts, typically typos. Although I see no relation to the words tenant and landlord being thrown about.

"And in a manner of speaking, to get really heavy into the semantics, the tenant really is the one to initiate the proceedings by doing things that violate the lease or the policies of the property... "
My response: That is the way I see it.

N

NancyLou9

I was thinking...

That perhaps a talk over the fence, so to speak, would be more appropriate than sending a formal notice of the person being sent a notice of the policies...

I didn't state what I meant. I KNEW what I meant, but I didn't say it. My fault...

C

Catbbs

Coffee Or Tea

Well when you are dealing with nut cases that have no reason ability then you are wasteing your time they were warned many times and like i said the landlord put the sign upweeks ago to explain due to the recent complaints which the sign states wont be tolerated. They seem to know everything but anything:mad:

N

NancyLou9

You know, it's odd

I'm normally much more lucid than it appears here. I'm normally an extremely verbose person and have no problems getting my point across...

What I meant by the "across the fence" part was that the landlord didn't need to send the poster here a formal letter, but perhaps to mention it in passing to them so they can keepa journal of all the complaints they have made for the landlord for the time when the landlord is taking the noise makers to court to evict them.

The poster here can look at the time each time and note when the infractions occurred while calling the landlord or police or whomever to take care of the problem.

The oxygen thing with the poster's mother is much more serious and I don't know that HomeGuru didn't have the right idea about letting the police know these people were cutting off her supply. This endangers her life and the authorities need to know this.

dequeendistress

Since you seem to know the landlord, has the landlord advised you if any action has been taken...ie written warning to the tenant or if an eviciton has been delivered? Is it possible that the landlord has already INTIATED the eviction?

Posting of the rules in a common area will do nothing more than serve as a reminder to those who follow the rules anyway. The landlord will have to deal directly with the problem tenant as the lease and the law allows.

You questioned how long did you have to wait if you were to take the landlord to court...I do not know of a prescribed amount of time for you to wait, but a reasonable time...if the situation was properly reported to the landlord over 35 days ago, that should be sufficient, in my book.

If you are a month to month tenant, it may be easier to terminate your lease as prescribed by state law and your lease. Be sure to deliver your forwarding address to your landlord if you decide to move. But this would be my last resort, the landlord should mitigate the situation.

You can also do as the officer suggested and file a complaint against this bothersome tenant in civil court...

Please check the landlord/tenant law for PA.

Nancy the writer already has spoken to the police and I would hope she reported the oxygen incident at that time...evidently the officer did not feel it warranted for further action at the time.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Re: You know, it's odd

NancyLou9 said:
I'm normally much more lucid than it appears here. I'm normally an extremely verbose person and have no problems getting my point across...

The oxygen thing with the poster's mother is much more serious and I don't know that HomeGuru didn't have the right idea about letting the police know these people were cutting off her supply. This endangers her life and the authorities need to know this.

**A: did you not read my very first response? The one regarding calling the police and reporting attempted murder?

N

NancyLou9

Home Guru

I did read your original post. That's why I gave you credit for the idea. It's just been stewing around in the back of my mind and only this morning did it come to the forefront.

I got the idea that the poster hadn't taken it seriously and I think you're right. There really is no other way to define it, as the people have probably been told that there is an elderly woman on life-sustaining oxygen and they endanger her life every time they shut it off.

Me, tho, if I knew that my antics could kill someone, I'd do everything I could do to keep her alive, with the thought in the back of my head that I could be held responsible, should she pass, no matter what the circumstances...

But that's just me, unlike the posters neighbors, I take human life seriously.

C

Catbbs

Oxygen

As i stated earlier i called the police reported it i also called the landlord first he said he also reported it the officer told me to keep calling the police if it happens again they must catch him doing it he is turning the breakers off and on this is harrasment the officer said so this is the problem also he said if the door is closed he can break it down if needed he told me to have the landlord remove the lock from the from door so it cant be locked also to put have him put locks on the breaker boxes. He said see what happens if it continues to go to the district att office and file for harrasment. So im thinkig of leaving as well even though this is a bad time for my mom. If this is a court case i will go for the the whole 9 yards what ever it takes the police officer seem to think its not worth it untill they are served with the eviction and i dont know how many days that really takes from the time they receive it? do you?

HomeGuru

Re: Oxygen

Catbbs said:
As i stated earlier i called the police reported it i also called the landlord first he said he also reported it the officer told me to keep calling the police if it happens again they must catch him doing it he is turning the breakers off and on this is harrasment the officer said so this is the problem also he said if the door is closed he can break it down if needed he told me to have the landlord remove the lock from the from door so it cant be locked also to put have him put locks on the breaker boxes. He said see what happens if it continues to go to the district att office and file for harrasment. So im thinkig of leaving as well even though this is a bad time for my mom. If this is a court case i will go for the the whole 9 yards what ever it takes the police officer seem to think its not worth it untill they are served with the eviction and i dont know how many days that really takes from the time they receive it? do you?
**A: follow up with the landlord.

N

NancyLou9

Maybe it's just me

But does it seem the landlord is putting the onus on the poster here to get rid of the tenant?

HomeGuru

Re: Maybe it's just me

NancyLou9 said:
But does it seem the landlord is putting the onus on the poster here to get rid of the tenant?
**A: yes it is just you. Look, it does not matter what it seems the landlord is doing. My advice was provided for a very specifc reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">