• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Catbbs

What is the name of your state? Pa. The second floor tenants have been harrasing me and my disabled mother for months so the landlord posted rules and regulations on the wall. The upstair tenants say they were not there when they moved in so they mean nothing and they can do what they wish. They took it on thier oun to violate the rules which included loud music heavy thumping and keeping then front door unlocked preventing medical personal to enter and also switching electric breakers off and on in my apt hallway and basement. My mom is on oxygen which uses electric.
Been here for almost two years they are new. Is there something i can do besides call the police like have? my landlord wants them evicted. :mad:

HomeGuru

Catbbs said:
What is the name of your state? Pa. The second floor tenants have been harrasing me and my disabled mother for months so the landlord posted rules and regulations on the wall. The upstair tenants say they were not there when they moved in so they mean nothing and they can do what they wish. They took it on thier oun to violate the rules which included loud music heavy thumping and keeping then front door unlocked preventing medical personal to enter and also switching electric breakers off and on in my apt hallway and basement. My mom is on oxygen which uses electric.
Been here for almost two years they are new. Is there something i can do besides call the police like have? my landlord wants them evicted. :mad:
**A: call police and report the attempted murder and request that L evict.

N

NancyLou9

Well, then...

The landlord should begin the proceedings...

Laws vary from state to state, however, the process should always begin with the landlord sending them a notice of violation of the rules with a copy of the rules sent with the letter.

Once that's sent to them, they are on notice and they can no longer say that they were unaware of the policies outlined by the landlord.

Altho the tenants are doing this to you, this is something for the landlord to take care of.

As soon as he sends them a letter informing them of their misconduct, outlining the repercussions should they violate the policies again, he should be able to evict them for future violations.

It's a process and some states are harder than others to do this in, but it IS doable.

The landlord should communicate to you once he/she has sent the letter to the tenants so you can keep a journal of sorts as evidence to the court system that the tenants have in fact violated the rules.

But, like I said, this is really the problem of the landlord and not you. Eviction proceedings are the responsibility of the owner/landlord of the property.

Also, if he wants to evict them, what's stopping him/her?

dequeendistress

Did you notify your landlord of the conditions in writing, also notify the landlord of the police reports that can be picked up at the station in regards to the matter.

In regards to the advice from Nancy "The landlord should communicate to you once he/she has sent the letter to the tenants so you can keep a journal of sorts as evidence to the court system that the tenants have in fact violated the rules."

The landlord is in no way obligated to tell you what their actions are in regard to another tenant. Only that they provide you with what your lease states and state law requires the landlord to provide. Your notice of what the landlord has done to rectify the situation will consist of a peaceful life, no more thumping and bumping etc. If you continue to be subjected to the atmosphere you described in your post you will know that the landlord had not been successful in mitigating the situation.

N

NancyLou9

My suggestions were

Merely an extension of my working for a property management company for several years, with part of my job being the one who initiated eviction proceedings.

I have seen eviction hearings lost in court because there was no one on hand to testify to the patterns of behavior that was done by the tenant.

If the landlord wants to be able to evict them, if he is not on the property, then he/she will need someone who is willing to come to court to give separate testimony with regard to said violations.

Letters are fine, but I've also seen a judge throw out the entire case because the opposition was not able to cross the person that had written the letters to prove that they indeed wrote the letters.

The person who wrote this should know when to start taking notes for the court and if he/she has a journal, that gives them more credibility.;)

dequeendistress

So, in your experience working in a property management company, how many times were you sued for sharing personal information with other tenants? Having the tenant subpeoned for eviction proceedings is NOT the same as giving all the residents pertinent info on another resident.

Also, the original post alluded to the fact that the police were called due to the situation...need more proof? That is if the police reports substantiate the call(s) were founded.

In my experience I have found that the tenants iniate eviction proceedings.

HomeGuru

dequeendistress said:
So, in your experience working in a property management company, how many times were you sued for sharing personal information with other tenants? Having the tenant subpeoned for eviction proceedings is NOT the same as giving all the residents pertinent info on another resident.

Also, the original post alluded to the fact that the police were called due to the situation...need more proof? That is if the police reports substantiate the call(s) were founded.

In my experience I have found that the tenants iniate eviction proceedings.
**A: ok, both of you may be correct depending upon the circumstances.
But how do tenants iniate? And would this be a dance form similar to the bump and grind?

C

Catbbs

Thanks to all in responding to this yes i have kept a record of all events that have taken place with date and times also i have recordings of the noises that have been heard in my apt i also took pictures of the door closed and the circut breaker box with the scotch tape they put on it. To let me know they did it so i have the evidence and wittness if this is a liable court case with the police reports also there is oxygen notice on the door which was there when they moved in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">