• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant background check and pending OVI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heisencybin

I have a pending OVI charge from a year ago, but it will likely get reduced or dismissed eventually. But I am trying to apply for an apartment and I worry that they will see my ovi charge. First, will they even see it since it's not a conviction? Second, if they do see it, will they deny me?

FlyingRon

Not knowing the state, I'm guessing Ohio. Most commercial background checks (such as a landlord would use) do not show pending charges though some do (and will continue to do so even if they are dismissed). There's nothing really you can do other than try. If you get turned down, you can request the source of the derrogatory information used against you.

quincy

Not knowing the state, I'm guessing Ohio. ...
And I think I will guess, ummm, California.*

I agree with what you wrote but will add that, if you are denied based on a background check, you must be provided with the background check company's information so that, if there is an error appearing on the report, you can move to correct it.

*edit to add: I see from the poster's other thread that he is in Ohio, so I change my guess to Ohio.

Last edited:

quincy

THere's no offense abbreviated OVI in California. OVI is a lesser form of DUI in Ohio.
Good observation ... but, still, I sort of question that this is what you based your guess on. I see you also responded to Heisencybin's Ohio thread. :p ;)

STEPHAN

When I have a possible tenant checked out, I get a printout of the court internet sides and I can decide per our policy. Each LL has different rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">