• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant bailed/non-notarized lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hippiechic8604

I live in Colorado and rent by the room mostly to college students. My tenant decided she wanted to move and gave me 30 days notice two months into her year lease. I told her she could move as long as she found someone else to take over her lease, however, she did not find anyone and moved out without paying her rent. She believes that since her lease was not notarized, it is voided. I plan on taking her to court over the issue but would like to see if anyone knows about leases being notarized.

JETX

hippiechic8604 said:
I plan on taking her to court over the issue but would like to see if anyone knows about leases being notarized.
There is no obligation that a lease be notarized.

One question though.... Why are you in the BUSINESS of being a landlord without knowing at least the minimium of your legal obligations and/or rights??
Have you read the Colorado Landlord-Tenant laws??
http://www.megalaw.com/co/top/colandlord.php

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">