• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant breaks lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jove833

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nj

Hi I rented my house to a tenant, signed a lease with them and they gave 2 months deposit. Before they moved in, she informed informed me that she is moving in with her parents instead. After a month of intense searching, I found new tenants to rent the property - but for several hundred less per month. My question is, can I hold the original tenant responsible for the month the house was vacant and the difference in rent? I originally thought I could because its my understanding that when you sign a lease you are in some way responsible for the total amount due for the term of that lease. The tenant that bailed out is willing to pay for the vacant month but not for the difference in rent.

thanks in advance for your help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">