• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant changed the locks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bongovi

What is the name of your state? NJ

I just got off the phone with my tenant. I was telling him that I'll be having an appraiser coming by, but I'll give him 24 hrs notice. He said I can not enter the condo without him being there. That he changed the locked & is refusing to give me a key; stating that it's not my primary residence & that I have no right to enter the premises ( I live in another state) He also hinted that he has weapons in the condo. I am so pissed right now, what should I do????

Alaska landlord

First, look up NJ landlord tenant act. I think it may be LSNJlaw.com or org, not sure. Anyway issue a quit notice and start the eviction process for breach of lease agreement.

Who's Liable?

Send him a letter CRR stating you have the right to enter the apartment after giving 24 hours notice. Refusal to allow entry is grounds for eviction plus any fees associated with the eviction process. Also inform him any weapons threats will be dealt with by the local police department.
Give him a list of dates and times you would like to allow the appraiser in. If he refuses to select one, do it for him, and when he refuses to allow entry, serve him with the eviction papers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">