• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant damaged property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karb

I need some advice on a rental property in Colorado. We have renants who were living in the property for 7 years, and suddenly moved out without notice (in August). We received a letter from the HOA, stating that the son of the tenants (18yrs old) had caused serious damage to the complex, by setting some bushes on fire. The covenants state that property owners are responsible for any damages, and we need to pay $2500 for the insurance deductible. We called the tenants and they said the son plead guilty to this in December, but they don't have money to pay for this. I would to know if there is some legal action we can take against the tenants to get our $2500 back.
Thank you.

Some Random Guy

The legal action would be called small claims court. It should be an easy win since the son was found guilty of the crime.

Once you have the judgement it will be up to you to figure out how to collect on the money. But worry about the court case first.

xylene

karb said:
We received a letter from the HOA, stating that the son of the tenants (18yrs old) had caused serious damage to the complex, by setting some bushes on fire. The covenants state that property owners are responsible for any damages, and we need to pay $2500 for the insurance deductible. We called the tenants and they said the son plead guilty to this in December, but they don't have money to pay for this. I would to know if there is some legal action we can take against the tenants to get our $2500 back.
Thank you.
Did you already pay the HOA? Was it your insurance or that of the HOA?

Why didn't the HOA sue the responsible party, I would think that be the parents of the felonious teen is he was under 18 at the time, or the teen himself.

If you already paid, sue the tenants in small claims as was suggested.

If HOA covenenant says you are responsible, than why aren't they suing you for the full amount, not just the deductible?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">