• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hdworker

What is the name of your state? Pa

I am in the process of eviction of a tenant, the tenant is to pay me their water bill when due, the water bill is in my name because of a new ordinance from the borough, there is a seperate meter for this tenant's water bill, the tenant next door has told me that the tenant who is being evicted is running the water constantly and has stated to her that the bill is in the landlord's name and she will run the water until she leaves, my question is would this be considered crimminal?

hdworker

i rent month to month and the rental agreement says nothing on it, the borough just enacted this before these people moved in,

dequeendistress

You really need to revise your lease terms to state: reasonable use of utility service.

Although, your situation as described is not criminal, even with lease terminology stating to use utilities in a reasonable manner.

So if your lease states the tenant is to pay the water bill, do they receive a bill from the city or from you for water: meaning how does the tenant know how much the bill is month to month?

In the future, you may want to raise the rent to cover for water expense and then just pay the bill yourself, reword the lease, and be happy. (might include a clause about excessive utility usage for landlord provided utility)

But, again, this will be a CIVIL matter. Also, anything based on another tenants word is hearsay.

When it is all said and done, if the tenant leaves owing you a bill, take it out of their deposit, or if N/A, charge them and if not paid file civil action to obtain your monies. (if a sufficient amount is due to justify it)

Last edited:

JETX

All those responses, and yet NO ANSWER to your post!!!

hdworker said:
my question is would this be considered crimminal?
Unless there is some water restrictions, etc. that she is in violation of, her 'wasting water' would not be criminal. However, of course, you can simply deduct the excess from her deposit and then present your reasons in court IF she sues for the deduction. Prior usage records would substantiate her excessive, and malicious, conduct.

dequeendistress

dequeendistress said:
...Although, your situation as described is not criminal, even with lease terminology stating to use utilities in a reasonable manner.

But, again, this will be a CIVIL matter. Also, anything based on another tenants word is hearsay.

When it is all said and done, if the tenant leaves owing you a bill, take it out of their deposit, or if N/A, charge them and if not paid file civil action to obtain your monies. (if a sufficient amount is due to justify it)
Jetx do you just ignore what I say because you find me inferior?

JETX

In this case, I read the OP and then saw Farmers 'non answer'.

I then saw your post:
"You really need to revise your lease terms to state: reasonable use of utility service."
and
"So if your lease states the tenant is to pay the water bill, do they receive a bill from the city or from you for water: meaning how does the tenant know how much the bill is month to month?"
and
"In the future, you may want to raise the rent to cover for water expense and then just pay the bill yourself, reword the lease, and be happy."
And just took it as another 'non-answer'. I simply didn't feel that forcing the OP to read through all that crap would be beneficial..... or what he was looking for in an answer to a very simple question.

hdworker

i know they have made some provisions where certain actions of the tenant can now be considered unlawful, like destruction of the property, where could i do research on these laws? I live in Pa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">