• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant damaging apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roofer33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
Lease type: Self-extending month-to-month

I have a tenant who moved in to one of my apartments about a year and a half ago. Within 6 months of him moving in, there was a gas leak from some corroded underground gas lines which was then fixed. I discounted his rent for the inconvenience. This is when I started having problems with him.

He proposed that I start performing a series of improvements on his apartment which included things such as replacing appliances he deemed too big, replacing floors he did not like and knocking down walls(!). I agreed to work with him on certain things that were older and probably should be replaced anyway, but politely refused to replace working appliances and new flooring and other things of that nature.

This is when things in his apartment that he wanted to replace started to break (mostly by him breaking them) and he started to chronically pay rent late or half-pay. He broke a window in his kitchen, he put a huge tear in the living room carpet which was new when he moved in, and the wax ring on his toilet was destroyed twice - from obviously moving the toilet. I also caught him switching the safety switch inside of his oven and complaining that it wasn't working because he wanted the oven replaced with a smaller one.

He keeps complaining about a leak in his bathroom and my maintenance guy and I have kept checking it out and finding no leak but there is obvious water damage. We run all of the water and have the downstairs ceiling completely open and cannot produce a leak. That's because there is no leak - he is pouring water on the floor to produce a leak because he wants the floor replaced.

My question is, what do I do about this guy? I am having trouble repairing all of the stuff he keeps breaking because he keeps breaking so much and if I bring him to court for that or nonpayment of rent, he is going to blame me for not making timely repairs and claim he is witholding his rent. I know that I need to get rid of him fast before he destroys my house or bankrupts me but it seems very difficult. Help!

Last edited:

Roofer33

Massachusetts and the lease is self-extending month-to-month. The tenant can leave with 30 days notice.

xylene

Professionals

You hired a plumber to check the pipes.

Well, now it is time to hire a lawyer to fix this guy.

The guy is a psycho and you really don't want to deal with this alone.

You are right to assume that this type of tenant is not going to be reasonable.

PS

Moving the toilet?

Are you saying it isn't securely and properly bolted down :eek: or that the tenant is unbolting it? :confused:

Roofer33

The toilet is bolted down properly. The wax ring was completely pushed over on one side as if the toilet had been unbolted and pushed. I am on the 2nd toilet and 3rd wax ring in this apartment in 2 years. The bathroom problems all started after he said he wanted a real tile floor (not vinyl) and a new toilet...

You hired a plumber to check the pipes.

Well, now it is time to hire a lawyer to fix this guy.

The guy is a psycho and you really don't want to deal with this alone.

You are right to assume that this type of tenant is not going to be reasonable.

PS

Moving the toilet?

Are you saying it isn't securely and properly bolted down :eek: or that the tenant is unbolting it? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">