• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant dies-- can people that were living with her be evicted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sapphirekitsune

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania -- Monroe County

Ok, for backstory --

My aunt was diagnosed with stage IV cancer, and she had a very rapid decline. Within about 3 months, she went from being independent to being barely able to make it up stairs. So, I offered to come live with her and take care of her. She wholeheartedly agreed, and I was with her for about 3 weeks before my mother was able to move in as well. Only 3 days after my mother came, my aunt died in Hopice (not in the apartment).

I'm not sure how, but apparently the property manager found out something after 2.5 weeks. She slid a letter under the door stating "It has been brought to my attention that ---- is no longer occupying unit ---. Please call the management office at --------. Please be advised that we have a key and are permitted to use it. Thank you for you immediate response."

My mother is trying to contact the housing authority, as we are not too familiar with P.A law. We're rather terrified of being evicted, as we have no where else to go and our resources have been exhausted -- we just finished paying for her funeral. Can anyone please, please tell me what our rights may or may not be, and whether or not we can be evicted?

sapphirekitsune

I don't think so -- but there is a lot of information we don't have, simply because my aunt died so quickly. One day she was talking and walking, three days later she was dead. We didn't get the chance to ask much.

Antigone*

I don't think so -- but there is a lot of information we don't have, simply because my aunt died so quickly. One day she was talking and walking, three days later she was dead. We didn't get the chance to ask much.
Without more information it would seem to me that the landlord can evict you using the normal evictio procedures.

What happened when you spoke to the management office?

sapphirekitsune

We haven't spoken to them yet -- I received the note late last night, and my mother was trying to seek legal advice today. The management office closes at 3pm, so we didn't have much time. She'll have to go tomorrow.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It would be questionable if EITHER of them are tenants. OP was there as a helper for 3 weeks. OP's mom was there for 3 days.

Were you planning on staying there forever?

sapphirekitsune

We intended to stay with her as long as she needed assistance. We didn't expect her to go so soon, so we thought we'd have time to make preparations to move somewhere else when the time came.

sapphirekitsune

We will move, once we can get some funds together. We just paid a funeral, the rent, my aunt's unpaid bills, etc etc. My mom even left her job to come out here. :/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">