• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant lied on application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davi34est

I received an offer from a prospective tenant to pay an entire year's lease up front. This seemed like a good offer to me, so I had basically decided I would rent to this tenant (before I had checked her background). I was, however, uncomfortable with the fact that she was unable to provide proof of income/employment, but dismissed this as she "claimed" to be a self-employed model.

As I started checking into her background, however, it seems that she falsely represented her occupation on the application. On her application, she stated she is a model...however after digging deeper, I discovered that she is actually an exotic dancer.

I don't feel entirely comfortable renting to her based on this new information. Not only did she fail to disclose her true occupation, but I'm concerned about the type of personal lifestyle she might lead and what might occur in the confines my property.

Based on the above, what would you advise? Should the fact that she wants to pay the whole year in advance be enough to counter my concerns that she lied about her occupation? Assuming her credit report is okay, is my discomfort with the entire situation grounds to deny her application? ...Or am I being discriminatory?

Cvillecpm

RENT up front is ALWAYS a RED FLAG....and they offer this lump of cash to entice landlords into renting to them and they don't want further inquiries into past landlord history OR credit.

Reject them for incomplete/inaccurate:rolleyes: application. Don't suggest they "lied", etc....the information they provided was inaccurate.

AdamWe

Am I missing something here or did you say you decided to rent to the person, took the money and then decided to do a background check.

If you didn't take money you're fine. Fair housing only covers race, religion, sex, familial status and handicap.

But to answer your question, yes you are discriminating but there isn't anything she can legally do about it unless she wants to go through the hassle of suing you for not renting to a single female

Alaska landlord

The reason she is willing to pay upfront is because she has been kicked out of every apartment she has ever rented from. If you accept the offer you are stuck with her for the rest of the year. Be prepared for probable drug use, noise and plenty of complaints from other tenants. I would reject based failing to meet rental criteria. If you don’t have any, then getting something is writing would be a good idea.

On my application it states up front that any misrepresentation by the applicant is reason to reject the application and deny the rental.

kolibri

Fair housing only covers race, religion, sex, familial status and handicap.
In California since 2004 fair housing covers (and I quote): race, color, religion, sex (including gender and perception of gender), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income, or disability, medical condition or
age.

The only two reasons they failed to mention, are beastiality and incest :)

fairisfair

The reason she is willing to pay upfront is because she has been kicked out of every apartment she has ever rented from. If you accept the offer you are stuck with her for the rest of the year. Be prepared for probable drug use, noise and plenty of complaints from other tenants. I would reject based failing to meet rental criteria. If you don’t have any, then getting something is writing would be a good idea.

On my application it states up front that any misrepresentation by the applicant is reason to reject the application and deny the rental.

you are very obviously not a landlord, or a very poor one.

On what facts are you basing your babble??

Oh, yeah, getting something in writing after the fact, that should be quite a trick.

Further more, it is not uncommon for persons involved in the adult industry to refer to themselves as models. Which, technically, they are models, modeling their bodies, or their pasties or whatever. She did not say, I am on the cover of Vogue.

Unbelievable

Frankly, I think it's unbelievable how hard landlords are trying to become on tenants. What are landlords trying to do? Create a perfect tenant world? Listen up. It won't happen. Landlords nowadays are seeking perfect people in an imperfect world. What a joke! There will come a day when landlords will be happy to receive a few months of consistent rent payments.

AdamWe

In California since 2004 fair housing covers (and I quote): race, color, religion, sex (including gender and perception of gender), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income, or disability, medical condition or
age.

The only two reasons they failed to mention, are beastiality and incest :)
Ah, then I must amend my previous post. I thought that list seemed incomplete. I think its pretty messed up to discriminate based on source of income too(except by illegal means).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">