• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant made verbal amendment to lease...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbradzick

Texas

I just aquired a commercial building in Lubbock, TX. One of the tenants claims that he made a verbal agreement with the previous owner that he could leave and be released from his lease when his new building was completed. The previous owner denies such an agreement. The lease was for 3 yrs. and does not expire until 2006. He wants to leave and be released from the lease in June 05.

Does a verbal ammendment to the lease hold up legally? Is a lease transferable to a new owner of the property?

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mbradzick said:
Texas

I just aquired a commercial building in Lubbock, TX. One of the tenants claims that he made a verbal agreement with the previous owner that he could leave and be released from his lease when his new building was completed. The previous owner denies such an agreement. The lease was for 3 yrs. and does not expire until 2006. He wants to leave and be released from the lease in June 05.

Does a verbal ammendment to the lease hold up legally? Is a lease transferable to a new owner of the property?

Thanks.

My response:

You "run" a commercial building, and you don't know the laws that cover your business? Oh, man. Have I got some beachfront property in Idaho to sell to you! Interested?

Of course a written lease overrides any oral promises. All matters real estate must be in writing.

Get a landlord / tenant book, will you?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">