• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant in New Hampshire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VenusMoon

My landlord notified me and my boyfriend on June 24 that she would be increasing our rent from $850 to $1200 starting Aug 1 --a whopping 41% !!! We advised her that we would be moving out by Aug 31st--needing time to find suitable housing here on the NH/Mass border it is very tough. We gave her a $850 deposit back in June 2000 -moved in as of July 2000.

1st--can a landlord really raise our rent that much?

2nd--she said she was placing an ad and would be showing the place during the last 2 weeks of our tenancy-but we don't want her in here with a bunch of strangers. I beleive that we only have to let her in to do repairs, even though our lease mentions she can show the place. Does the lease or the law take presidence here.

3rd--we heard somewhere about our deposit being returned to us with interest, and that she should have told us where it was being held-but she didn't. Is the interest calculated from the date we gave it to her--and how much? and where has our money been all this time?

Last edited:

L

loku

As for the amount of the rent increase, check your local chamber of commerce to find out is there is any local rent control.

We heard somewhere about our deposit being returned to us with interest, and that she should have told us where it was being held-but she didn't. Is the interest calculated from the date we gave it to her--and how much? and where has our money been all this time?

New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated Sec 540-A:7 provides that a landlord shall return a security deposit to a tenant and pay the interest due, if any, within 30 days from the termination of the tenancy. If there are any damages to the premises, excluding reasonable wear and tear, the landlord may deduct the costs of repair from the security deposit. The landlord shall provide the tenant with a written, itemized list of any damages for which the landlord claims the tenant is liable, which shall indicate with particularity the nature of any repair necessary to correct any damage and satisfactory evidence that repair necessary to correct these damages has been or will be completed. Satisfactory evidence may include, but not be limited to, receipts for purchased repair materials and labor estimates, bills or invoices indicating the actual or estimated cost thereof.

Sec 540-A:8 provides- I. (b) Any landlord who does not comply with RSA 540-A:6, IV or RSA 540-A:7 shall be liable to the tenant in damages in an amount equal to twice the sum of the amount of the security deposit plus any interest due under this subdivision, less any payments made and any charges owing for damages, unpaid rent, or share of real estate taxes as specified in RSA 540-A:7.

II. Notwithstanding RSA 540-A:6, 540-A:7, and 540-A:8, I, a landlord shall not be liable nor forfeit any rights if his failure to comply with said sections and paragraph is due to the failure of the tenant to notify the landlord of his new address upon termination of the tenancy.

Sec. IV provides. (a) A landlord who holds a security deposit for a period of one year or longer shall pay to the tenant interest on the deposit at a rate equal to the interest rate paid on regular savings accounts in the New Hampshire bank, savings and loan association, or credit union in which it is deposited, commencing from the date the landlord receives the deposit or from September 13, 1977, whichever is later. If a landlord mingles security deposits in a single account under RSA 540-A:6, II(b), the landlord shall pay the actual interest

Our lease mentions she can show the place
That means the landlord can show the place at reasonable times.

H

happylucky

FIRST QUESTION TO ALWAYS ASK IS:

DO YOU HAVE A LEASE?

Ok here is YOUR problem......YOU didnt get out in time...YOU were supposed to be out by JULY 31st

Which is when your lease ENDED!!!!!!

As of August 1st the rent is $1200.....NOT 850!

So the landlord WILL deuct the $350 from your security deposit, plus any other expenses and damages.

YES the landlord can show the house during your lease period, OR ELSE the landlord can charge you for each day the apartment is NOT RENTED past August 31st.

The landlord is LEGALLY entitled NOT to lose even ONE days rent on you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">