• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant with no written lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garret

Los Angeles, California.
I'm a landlord who owns a four unit apartment building in Los Angeles which is under rent control. I have a tenant who has been living in a unit for many years, but doesn't have a written lease. I'm told by LA Housing that a verbal lease after a year is not binding and I can ask the tenant to sign a written lease. But I'm not clear about the detailed specifications of the lease -- especially in cases where the tenant is unlikely to agree. For example, what about pets? installing new appliances - especially AC units that may overload the existing meter capacity? Garage use? The tenant is claiming that because there is no lease he's pretty much free to do as he pleases and though he's willing to sign a lease, he's insisting it must meet with his approval about the details.

FarmerJ

if your tenant hs no written lease and is month to month tenant rule changes like things about pets have zero bearing on rent control, rent control is about the money. SO its time to go see a atty and have the atty help you by preparing a solid lease that has nothing that will bite you back and help you with learning more about your citys rent control program and exactly what you can do to make this person comply with your wish for written lease. I did find this page interesting http://www.lacity.org/LAHD/ten_land.htm still will tell you to see a atty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">