• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant not paying rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Daffy

What is the name of your state?New York

I rented an apartment to two people on June 1st. Firstly, their security deposit bounced. They came over and paid it, stating that there was a mix up at the bank with their account. Soon after I found they had used an extention cord to steal electricity from the basement. They apologize and stated that there was difficulty in getting switched on. July 1st they paid. In August I accepted another check which bounced, they claimed there was another problem at the bank. They paid later on August 19th. A week ago i found out that they were doing other people's laundry, using my gas and water (laundry services is not part of their lease), so I closed the wash room and told them, they could only use it under supervision). They refused. They wrote to let me know they would hold $100 of rent until they have the laundry room back. They have two unregistered stationary cars stuck in my driveway now for three month, and have refused to move them. I was told that the zoning laws do not allow unregistered cars on the property and that I could face a fine.

Do you think there is anything here which constitutes a break in the lease. Please advise. Thank you.

Daphne

HomeGuru

Daffy said:
What is the name of your state?New York

I rented an apartment to two people on June 1st. Firstly, their security deposit bounced. They came over and paid it, stating that there was a mix up at the bank with their account. Soon after I found they had used an extention cord to steal electricity from the basement. They apologize and stated that there was difficulty in getting switched on. July 1st they paid. In August I accepted another check which bounced, they claimed there was another problem at the bank.

**A: when are you going to learn. After the first bounce, you should have demanded cash or cashier's check from then on. AND sent a certified rrr letter regarding theft of electricity and breach of lease.

They paid later on August 19th. A week ago i found out that they were doing other people's laundry, using my gas and water (laundry services is not part of their lease), so I closed the wash room and told them, they could only use it under supervision). They refused. They wrote to let me know they would hold $100 of rent until they have the laundry room back. They have two unregistered stationary cars stuck in my driveway now for three month, and have refused to move them. I was told that the zoning laws do not allow unregistered cars on the property and that I could face a fine.

Do you think there is anything here which constitutes a break in the lease. Please advise. Thank you.

**A: you have a problem here. Reopne the laundry and hire an attorney to send them a hammer letter.

Daphne
**A: stop playing around and get serious.

D

Daffy

Thank you for your response. But why should I re-open the laundry room? I'm not refusing them use, only that someone is around to monitor their use. I'm not talking about a couple of blouses being washed, there were lots and lots of clothes, some security guard uniforms. The water bill is three times the average user and the gas bill is very high also. I cannot afford to pay their bills when they're not paying rent, and pay for an attorney.

HomeGuru

Daffy said:
Thank you for your response. But why should I re-open the laundry room? I'm not refusing them use, only that someone is around to monitor their use. I'm not talking about a couple of blouses being washed, there were lots and lots of clothes, some security guard uniforms. The water bill is three times the average user and the gas bill is very high also. I cannot afford to pay their bills when they're not paying rent, and pay for an attorney.
**A: ok then, after a second review I agree with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">