• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant not paying rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paranda78

Hi,

I am renting my home in Pennsylvania since August, 2011 and my tenant hasn't paid any rent since September. She mailed me some blank checks. When I deposited two checks, only one of them with very small amount was cashed in, while other was returned. I tried to reach out to her by phone, email and SMS; and after many follow ups, her office assistance talked to me. As per her, she sent all checks by mail. When I asked to provide details on when she had sent the checks and when they got issued, she didn't have any answer and I am still waiting on her for details.

Since I am in Georgia because of work, it has become very difficult to follow up with her.

can you please advise on what should be my next steps?

Thank you very much for your guidance in advance.

Gail in Georgia

Consider hiring an attorney familiar with the steps to eviction in Pennsylvania.

If you wish to attempt this yourself, here are the steps outlined in the attached:

Guidelines for Pennsylvania Residential Eviction

This typically starts with a notice often known as a "Pay or Quit", giving a tenant a certain number of days to remedy the issue (in this case, failure to pay rent). Failure to do so allows the landlord to file for an eviction through the court system.

Gail

CSO286

Hi,

I am renting my home in Pennsylvania since August, 2011 and my tenant hasn't paid any rent since September. She mailed me some blank checks. When I deposited two checks, only one of them with very small amount was cashed in, while other was returned. I tried to reach out to her by phone, email and SMS; and after many follow ups, her office assistance talked to me. As per her, she sent all checks by mail. When I asked to provide details on when she had sent the checks and when they got issued, she didn't have any answer and I am still waiting on her for details.

Since I am in Georgia because of work, it has become very difficult to follow up with her.

Hire a GA lawyer to begin the eviction process for you.

Barring that, you need to read up on the process to be able to do so legally yourself.

Start here: http://www.dca.ga.gov/housing/HousingDevelopment/programs/downloads/Georgia_Landlord_Tenant_Handbook.pdf

ETA: OOOPPPSSS!!!!!

Wrong state. You need a PA atty or to read up on PA laws to evict porperly and legally.

This link is what you need: http://tenant.net/Other_Areas/Penn/harris/pa-toc.html

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Hi,

**A: why are you accepting blank checks anyway? And next time hire a property management company.

sandyclaus

Hi,

Seriously?

If you have to ask what to do when your tenant is failing to pay the rent due, then you really need someone who is more geared to running your rental property like the business that it is. No business could stay in business allowing their customers to continue partaking of services without paying for them.

You NEED to evict this person for nonpayment of rent. Since you are in Georgia and the property is in PA, you should probably hire an eviction attorney in the area and have them handle the case for you. First step here will be to provide your tenant with notice to Pay or Quit. It's VERY IMPORTANT that when you do that, you either accept the FULL AMOUNT DUE, or nothing at all. And NO personal checks - guaranteed funds ONLY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">